A Conversation for GG: Cairo, Egypt

Peer Review: A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Cairo, Egypt - A1913366
Author: Gnomon [Front Page Author] - U151503

This entry is based on when I stayed in Cairo for a few months a number of years back. I don't suppose it has changed much, but if anybody notices any glaring errors, let me know.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I was going through this entry and checking on one of the links, when my computer crashed. I hope it doesn't have this effect on other researchers, Gnomon!

I've never been to Cairo. This looks good and has a good feel to it too! smiley - ok

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I know what I was doing - looking up Driving Etiquette in Egypt - A412787.

It's one of the shortest Edited Guide entries I've ever seen.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 4

Old Hairy

When I worked in Cairo, about 12 years ago, I was once advised that the bargain of the day at the market was butter. The brand on sale is not available in this country - it was "Gift of the EEC, not for resale". So there IS theft on a grand scale.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 5

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Oh, I meant to ask, (about) how many rivals were beheaded?

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

I don't know how many rivals were beheaded. I always got the impression it was about 10 or 20. I'll see if I can find out.

I wasn't going to link to that Driving Etiquette entry, because it doesn't really add anything to what I've already said.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I agree, I think you've said as much if not more that the edited entry on it!

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 8

frenchbean

Hello there Gnomon smiley - smiley

This is great...

I had no idea what Coptic Christianity is, so I did a quick search and came up with www.coptic.net which is a really good site full of explanation. You could possibly link to it?

Is the sun god Re, the same as Ra or Amun Ra? I'm dredging my memory for Egyptology lessons now, so I may be wrong... Anybody else????

Oh dear, I'm sure I've seen something on telly (again, awfully vague I'm afraid) about remains of an early Egyptian town off the Nile delta, just into the Mediterranean. It was something to do with the theory that sea-levels rose dramatically around 5000 years ago and literally drowned entire cities and even civilisations throughout the world, including India, China, Turkey, Egypt. I guess the BBCi history site might have info (if the prog was on the beeb). I'll go look and get back to you on that onesmiley - run

Is the local beer any relation to Stella Artois smiley - ale?

I love your description of the traffic tapestry smiley - laugh

smiley - cheers
F/b

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Frenchbean!

Thanks for the link to Coptic Christianity. I'll check it out and consider putting it in.

Ra is the same as Re. The hieroglyphs only show the R, so they didn't know what vowels came after it. For years they called him Ra, then they changed to Re. Recent research shows that is was probably Riah, as I pointed out in the footnote. I'll add Ra to the list of possible names for this God.

While the thing about the flooded city is interesting, it's not really anything to do with Cairo, is it?

The local beer is not connected with Stella Artois, but they may have nicked the recipe from the Belgians, because it tastes similar.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added in the link to www.coptic.net. I've changed the footnote to mention Ra as well as Re.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 11

frenchbean

Hi Gnome...smiley - smiley

You're quite right, the drowned cities have nothing at all to do with Cairo! smiley - laugh Forgive me drifting off into the recesses of my mind and being convinced that it's all so crucially important.

Thank you for updating me on Re/Ra/Riah. Now... (I'm off into my brain again) didn't Thor Hyadahl (sp?) build a boat out of papyrus (just to prove that he could) and call it Ra? Sometime in the 60s or 70s, after Kon Tiki. Presumably he was doing it for a reason - and presumably also in Egypt. Not relevant at all, but of mild interest perhaps. smiley - laugh

Does Egyptian beer taste reasonable then? I don't think I've ever found a bottled beer or lager outside Europe and Canada that tasted anything less than disgusting - especially if drunk warm smiley - yuk But it's all personal preferences I guess. I'm an smiley - ale girl myself - and draft (draught?) if at all possible.

smiley - cheers
F/b

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Egyptian beer is OK if you like European lager.

Have a look at A1029313 "They Discovered America" for details of Thor Heyerdahl and his boat.

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 13

frenchbean

Hello again...
I should have known you'd written about it already!

smiley - cheers
Frenchbean

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 14

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

He's not just a pretty face, you know, F/b!

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 15

frenchbean

I never imagined that for a minute

smiley - rofl

F/b

A1913366 - Cairo, Egypt

Post 16

J

Looking good, Gnomon. I don't know what the scouts would do without you! Good work, probably... I knew nothing about the subject

"It's one of the shortest Edited Guide entries I've ever seen."

My personal favorite small one is A142354

smiley - blacksheep

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 18

frenchbean

smiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - bubbly

Well done Gnomon. A well-deserved pick.

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 19

Old Hairy

Congratulations. Done it again.

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - bubbly Hurray!

Thanks, everyone.

Key: Complain about this post