A Conversation for Project: Latin American Pre-Hispanic Cultures

You forgot one....

Post 1

Crescent

...the Nasca (I am not sure about the spelling) Hope this helps smiley - smiley - the 'whole drawings that can only be seen from the air' people smiley - smiley
BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 2

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

SOrry it took so long to reply, but I had comptuer problems.

Thank you! Would you like to write something about them smiley - smiley

You forgot one....

Post 3

Crescent

I will do - it may take a wee whiley to get round to it, but yes smiley - smiley Do you have a kind of template you want followed, or anything? or is it OK to do it freehand smiley - smiley Well, until later........
BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 4

There is no template, if you find any poetry 'n' stuff like that I'm placing it all in one page and leyends are nice, if you can get them.

Whee! I'll be able to add someone to the list of contributors.

You forgot one....

Post 5

Crescent

I mentioned this one here http://www.h2g2.com/F28798?thread=67807&latest=1 but there is also the Mowha..... BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 6

Excuse me?

You forgot one....

Post 7

Crescent

The Mowha - a typical pre-hispanic culture in the North Peru area, I think, but at their height before the time of Christ - very literal art, actually found the bodies of the people shown in their pictures - lots of big mud-brick buildings (and I mean BIG) the Temple of the Sun and the Temple of the Moon totally surround the hills they are built on. Lots of sacrifices etc.
BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 8

Thank you! As I only have sufficient information on the Mexican cultures, I need help on South American. Would you like to write something about that one, too? *pleading eyes* If you have enough time, that is.

You forgot one....

Post 9

Crescent

Yes, I would enjoy it smiley - smiley However, it may take a wee whiley (again smiley - smiley Lots on my plate at the moment.....
BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 10

Thank you! I don't mind waiting.

You forgot one....

Post 11

Ixchel

Hi Crescent!
Do you actually mean the Moche with the Mowha?

You forgot one....

Post 12

Crescent

It could be, I am not sure, I didn't see it written down smiley - sadface But it was pronounced Mowha (or was it now, I will have to go and ask smiley - smiley Until later......
BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 13

You did say it was going to take you a while... are you still going to write or do you want me to take you off?

You forgot one....

Post 14

Crescent

I would still like to write it, but with work the way it is at the mo' it will be well into the new year before I get a chance smiley - sadface It is up to you - if you cannot wait that long, t'is OK by me to take me off. Whatever you decide smiley - smiley Until later......
BCNU - Crescent

You forgot one....

Post 15

I can wait.
I just wanted to know if you still knew about this smiley - smiley

Oh, BTW, you have loooots of badges. smiley - smiley

You forgot one....

Post 16

Clio

Picking up where this has left off. Perhaps I can also be of assistence in collaborating on the Peruvian cultures -- it's what I did at university smiley - winkeye

And yes, it's Moche. The Mochica, Nazca and Lima cultures were the three predominate groups during the Early Intermediate Period of Peru comprising the Northern, Central and Southern coast. All three groups rose to ascendency after the decline of the Chavin Empire, although the Nazca also have a lot of influence from the Paracas culture, being the furthest from the Northern centers of the Chavin rulers.

Specifically I did most of my research on the societal implications in sacred and secular iconography, especially where displayed in ceramic form. Although I'm way familiar with the sand drawings so popular with fringe "anthropology" in Southern Peru.

Incas -- I might be of some help there too, did some coursework on them. Same goes for Olmecs and Mayans as well.

Toltec and Mixtec (sp? Miztec?) also come to mind for other Central American, Pre-Columbian cultures.

*rant, ponder, unearth old, musty studies*

Fun, fun, fun! Thanks

You forgot one....

Post 17

Dudemeister

What about those folks up North in Mexico - like the Tarahumara for example? They are still there, but are not as accessible as going to Club Med. I have a couple of dolls made by someone from that community adorning my walls.

What happened to the Chichimecas? I hear it was quite a drama.

This is something I know little about, so I mention for the sake of conversation: Many of the languages that we have in Canada relate to some of those in Mexico and all over North America - those spoken over the last few thousand years before English, French, Spanish, Dutch, German, etc. or even Norse were spoken here.

When you mean prehispanic America, would that also not include the part of the continent that has been the home of the Apache, Cherokee, Seminole and so on, as the Spanish also romped around there too.

How does their culture relate to those further North? In recent history, what effect and how would you compare the different European influences in the way that they are today? That should be enough for a million or so term papers and research projects!

You forgot one....

Post 18

Dudemeister

As I said - I have huge gaps in my knowledge! Do you consider Apaches for example "pre-colombian"? The folks in Florida and all the way West on the Gulf coast were decimated by De Soto and his (unfortunately inflicted with foreign diseases) Spanish soldiers. Although perhaps this is not what you might call Latin America, it does relate to the history.

You forgot one....

Post 19

Damnation! I have to re-write due to some weird thing that happened...

ANYWAY:

Woo hoo! I have attention! smiley - silly

CLIO:

I really need information on South American cultures and, since you studied Peruvian cutlrues, I am sure you will write something good. Thanks for the help. Just tell me what you are going to write about and I'll link you up smiley - smiley

You could also write about a specific subject, rather than a culture. So, if you want to write about the Societical Implications...Iconography, it's great, too.

I could also use information on the Incas, as I don't have much about them. Olmecs I have written about and I am writing about the Mayas (I have lots of information about them, but it is not organized.) I really want feedback, corrections, and information I might have missed on the Olmecs.

Toltecs and Mixtecs I have information about, but if you want to write about them I can just say any info I have you might have missed or something like that.

BTW, I could also use some information on how the ages and places were divided in central and southern america (I have it for mesoamerica).

DUDEMEISTER:

Tarahumaras, Chichimecas, and other cultures are secondary since there are more important civilizations to be covered first, IMO. Of course, if anyone wants to write about them, I'd love it.

I've drawn a line from mesoamerica to the south since they are similar in certain aspects. There could also be information added about the natives more to the north, but it would add a lot more area to be covered. Maybe if people are found to write about it and after the South is finished...

Oh, BTW, the natives were worse than the Spaniards. The Europeans just brought smallpox but the Indians gave them siffilis. smiley - winkeye

And if there is anything you can write about... please do smiley - biggrin

ALL:

If you can give me feedback, I would love it. So give it to me, please smiley - smiley And if you find people with similar interests, you could try to persuade them to write something up smiley - smiley

You forgot one....

Post 20

Clio

Something to touch upon in discussion of Mesoamerican and SW US are the trade routes. An old friend of mine from college days is an archaelogist out of the Tempe/Pheonix, Arizona area who did his thesis work on the Hohoukum (sp?). I can recall during his research that in very old sites (i.e., neolithic, pre-Hopi, etc.) finding remains of parrort cages and quetzal feathers suggesting that the "Obsidian Route" (the "Silk Road" of Mesoamerica) existed far earlier than first believed.

Frood, my research into Mesoamerica was less than South America, but I will start looking at the stuff you've already worked on and provide any commentary I can. My better areas in all of these are architectural and ceramics.

Incas - I likely know more about them than the average person smiley - winkeye Will start sifting around my dusty memories and see what I can come up with. There'll be bridges and roads in it for sure, Incas had that in common with the Romans smiley - winkeye

Now that the holidays are over I'll start filtering thru ideas, read some of the already in progress items and get some idea which direction to head in.

Key: Complain about this post