This is the Message Centre for Psycho- Therapist

Communication

Post 1

Psycho- Therapist

Being in the profession of psychotherapy I just wanted to share some of my personal views with everyone out there who would care to listen. It concerns mental health and well-being.

In my experience of working with clients and from my own personal experience I suggest that being honest with oneself and with others as far as one can will promote a much healthier lifestyle. When people hide things from others (thoughts, feelings, attititudes...)this can be counterproductive. Obviously one cannot be totally honest with everyone all of the time but one should always strive to be as open and honest with as many people as possible. This will always leave you feeling better about yourself.

Communication is a must. In this day and age we tend to keep things to ourselves for fear of pressures from society and to give the impression that we are always "strong". To an extent this can be useful. However, "Everything in Moderation" is a good phrase to live by. When a problem is shared, it is halved, as they say....

When one communicates to others in an honest, open and genuine manner then others will communicate in such a way with them. When secrets are abound and communication takes the form of using codes and having to "read between the lines", this will only lead to distress on both parts.

My advice is to communicate with others - Friends, Family and colleagues - in an honest and open manner. This is difficult sometimes but is usually for the best in the long run.

Good Luck!

Communication

Post 2

L-J

I can see your site!

Communication

Post 3

Hypno

I am not sure Alice has her own web site - but I am sure she will if she has one.

HiYa again Alice

The view of everybody being open and honest is a nice but impossible dream.

As you know when taking anyone through therapy, honesty is the hardest thing to achieve and when it is - therapy has achieved its goal. It is our own neurosis, perhaps a bit of paranoia which we all have, that is natural to our defensive system. The mistrust of others is primeval instinct of survival. The thought of others using honest information against them or laughing behind their backs makes liars of us all.

You have found the benifits of being truthful, as have most people who have succesfully completed therapy. Those who have not will not discuss their inner thoughts freely for many reasons, also it is easy to be offensive with honsty - truth hurts.

I know you said honesty is good in most cases - sometimes if it is a personal view - it's best to keep mum. Of course you are - if I read it correctly refering to guilty deeds and thoughts - the very thing people are going to keep to themselves.

Nice dream

If you have taken any very religious or pre religious people through therapy - some so-called saintly clergy have a hold on their flock and continue twisting the guilt complex until it hurts and all because they were honest. So your blanket statement should be qualified and there (lies) the problem - The best advice is not to give it (Guilty myself as charged).

Mmmm I think I waffled on enough
I am ready to receive a smacked wrist

All the best
hypno

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Psycho- Therapist

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more