A Conversation for The Lost Episodes of 'Doctor Who' - the TV Series

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 1

U695218

I'm by no means a massive Dr Who fan, but I do remember the first episode being broadcast and I'm glad to have it now (in two versions) on DVD. My question is, I remember early on TV an episode when the Dr was at some kind of intergalactic conference and large insect inspired beings including Zarbi and Menoptera (giant ants among others I think) were present and maybe even the Daleks had a lookin (I'm not sure about the Daleks).
Does anyone know the name of the story and is it available?

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 2

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Mmm, think you're getting slightly confused there.

The Menoptera and Zarbi only ever appeared in one story, the Web Planet. An interglactic conference of sorts was however featured in one (maybe two) episodes of The Daleks' Masterplan. Some episodes of this story exist, but not, unfortunately, the one featuring the conference.

Try here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/episodeguide/daleksmasterplan/

for more info.

smiley - ale

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 3

U695218

Thanks for the info. It was a long time ago..smiley - cidersmiley - biggrin

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Actually, the conference does appear in one of the surviving episodes - 'Day of Armageddon' appears as one of the episodes on the 'Lost in Time' DVD set.

The Web Planet, which is the one with the Zarbi and Menoptra, is also available on DVD.

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 5

Oh, that's embarrassing, I've even got Lost in Time as well smiley - blush.

smiley - ale

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 6

Smij - Formerly Jimster

You were thinking of their first appearance, in 'Mission to the Unknown', I suspect, which is missing. smiley - smiley

It's a shame, because there are theories that the delegates had name-tags in front of them in that episode, which they don't for later episodes. We'd be able to see once and for all if the character Ronald Rich plays is actually labelled 'Trantis', as per the credits, or 'Celation' as per the fact that's the only one he could actually be.

By the time the aliens return, they've all swapped names, and some of them have changed costumes entirely. Very confusing.

Menoptera and Zarbi

Post 7

Ah yes. I vaguely recall long running debates in DWM on who the Hell all the delagates actually are. It probably came up whe the Time Team covered the story as well.

smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post