A Conversation for JRR Tolkien

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 1

Honeyjunkie

There are rumors, that the fantastic director of "Braindead" and "Heavenly Creatures" makes a new Lord Of The Ring- Movie. They seem to film in New Sealand. I heard that the budget is one of the biggest EVER.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 2

Jimi X

They're not rumours...

check out http://www.lordoftherings.net

smiley - smiley

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 3

manolan

No rumour, try http://www.theonering.net/movie/index.html

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 4

Ashley

No Rumour.

One of my friend's is a member of the techie crew on the film and has had a frantic but fab time by all accounts.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 5

Saint Taco-Chako (P.S. of mixed metaphors)

Ian McKellen is playing Gandalf.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 6

Rehash

I thought it was Christopher Lee that was playing Gandalf.
Also the budget is $200 million.
But personally I think it was a mistake to film it in New Zealand.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 7

Wolfman, Zaphodista :X (soon to be Zarquon again, or maybe not)

Yeah, didn't he base Middle Earth on England? It should definitely be filmed there in my opinion. I've been looking forward to this movie since I first heard of it. I hope they do a good job of it.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 8

Demon Drawer

All the above is true. Welcome back to the real world honeyjunkie. smiley - smiley

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 9

Kumabear

Christopher (Dracula) Lee is playing Saruman. Ian Holm is Bilbo. The trailer looks excellent..if you want to wait for the download.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 10

Underground Caroline

I was releaved to see (from the look of the trailers) that cinema doesn't seem to have done its usual hatchet job on the source material. We shall wait and see,

Did anyone ever see the original film version? The half live action/half animation effort. I always thought it was excellent. Pitty they had to give up at Helm's Deep because they ran out of money.

As to filming it in New Zealand, it's not such an incongruous choice. Yes, Tolkein based some of Middle Earth on Britian (The Shire was based on Sussex I believe because it was cozy and familier), but most of the landscape owes a debt to the fantastical landscapes described in the mythology produced by the various different cultures that have inhabited Britain throughout history. I don't think Britian has the kind of mountain ranges described in the book - we're talking seriously pointy here.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 11

Rehash

The problem with New Zealand is exactly that:- it looks fantastic. The books are written in a very 'everyday' style (for hobbits anyway). The thing about filming in Britain (not just England) is that the landscapes somehow look far more REAL than anywhere else on the planet (If you've seen Monty Python and the holy grail you'll know what I mean.)As for the mountains, they are seriously pointy just not terribly big. But what I'd prefer is for them to film it partly in Britain partly in New Zealand. That way you get the realistic feel of the British highlands with the majesty of the New Zealand mountains. With a computer you could map the two on top of each other and have some amazing (but totally believable) scenery.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 12

Wolfman, Zaphodista :X (soon to be Zarquon again, or maybe not)

You're right. I didn't think of all the mountains. I'm not entirely familiar with Britain's topography as I'm American, but I guess it wouldn't provide all the necessary scenerey. But the Monty Python thing is a good point. With the right lighting and special effects, Tim the Enchanter's neighborhood would make a downright wicked Mordor. As for fantastic landscape, well LOTR IS fantasy. The bible of fantasy as far as I'm concerned. I see no problem with the idea of having bizarre landscapes in the movie, as long as it's all consistent with Tolkien's vision.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 13

The Biffo

Only one actor to play Gandalf Sir Michael Horden as in the BBC audio version. Shame they can't get him for the movie!!

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 14

Rehash

Who?

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 15

Rehash

Topography of Britain a beginners guide:-
East coast :- Flat
West coast :- Bumpy
Everywhere north of Stirling west of Edinburgh :- Scottish highlands (where Monty python and the Holy Grail was filmed.)

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 16

Maxkill666

wont there be a bit of a problem with hobbits, I mean you dont find stunted people all over the place do you? also its a bit late to start a movie any way.

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 17

Rehash

Late how? And as for Hobbits couldn't they just use puppets?
(By the way you must be new here, coz your still a number not a freeman!)

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 18

Rehash

Sorry about the number comment but for some reason when I typed the message in your name was listed as Researcher A14335667 etc. Don't know why must just be a bug

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 19

Kumabear

If I recall, Hobbits look like children. Merry or Pippin was described as looking like a 9 year old child near the begining of return of the king. It was the dwarves that were the small ones.smiley - winkeye

Lord Of The Ring -Movie

Post 20

Saint Taco-Chako (P.S. of mixed metaphors)

"They are quick of hearing and sharp-eyed, and though they are inclined to be fat and do not hurry unnecessarilly, they are nonetheless nimble and deft in their movements... For they are little people, smaller than dwarve:less stout and stocky that is, even when they are not much shorter."

Key: Complain about this post