This is the Message Centre for Jim Lynn

Forms on home pages

Post 1

beeline

Hmmmmm. For some reason, the two drop-down lists on my home page squash up to no-width, which makes it hard to select things from them! It works fine as a standalone HTML file (i.e. not in h2g2).

Can this be remedied?

Forms on home pages

Post 2

Jim Lynn

I've fixed it for you, but it was badly formed HTML in the first place. You have OPTION tags in a SELECT block and you didn't terminate them (in the first dropdown) or you terminated them before the text (in the second drop-down).
The correct way to have an entry in a dropdown is:
The text for the option

THBAPSA. smiley - smiley

Forms on home pages

Post 3

beeline

*hangs head in shame*
Sorry, 'n' thanks!

Go on, then, what's THBAPSA? smiley - winkeye

Forms on home pages

Post 4

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

'scuse me for being a goat and butting in .....
What's BHSAPSA (or whatever it was)????
Just curious .......

Forms on home pages

Post 5

Jim Lynn

This Has Been A Public Service Announcement. smiley - smiley

Forms on home pages

Post 6

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

The speed at which he replies amazes me!!!!
Jim is chained to his desk again - you must love this place as much as we do Jim!!
PS No need to reply - this is a rhetorical post

Forms on home pages

Post 7

beeline

Jim, are there any other resources that are available to us mortals as JavaScript functions? Or is that all beyond the reach of any user routines until they are specifically included in the servers?

For example, would it be theoretically possible for me to load my posting listings into an array from my end? I guess probably not, and the cgi at your end is the thing that generates the HTML for the list in the first place... (I suppose there would also be too high a maintenance cost to pay for people like me who mess up their code!)

Just curious smiley - winkeye

Forms on home pages

Post 8

Jim Lynn

We are looking at additions to the XML which would allow you to have a more active page. These would most likely be done at the server side, though, as Javascript can only usefully do things at the client end.

I'm thinking about things like favourites lists, lists of your pages, lists of your friends, that sort of thing.

We might find that doing this kind of thing overloads the database, but we'd definitely like to put them in. Not in a hurry, though.

Forms on home pages

Post 9

wingpig

People that know Java™ and what it can do - tell us about things you think should be implemented - the nature of the code for the Creators and the end results for the little people. We'll comment, discuss and vote on them and then the Creators can see what people want by way of

//fancy tarty things
whilst balancing the
//alert("Don't spend too much time on the form at the expense of the content.");

side of things. What would be useful above all else is the exp[ansion of the edit box to include certain necessary parameters such as place, country, entity type and last update date. Although it would be nice to have little boxes to fill in above the text body, there would be no harm in making these an optional thing to begin with - it'd help people become a little more pointy-bracket-literate in the meantime.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jim Lynn

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more