This is the Message Centre for Jim Lynn

Postings Listings

Post 1

beeline

Jim,

Would it be possible to list postings (in the X's postings screens) in order of most recent post that *they* made (as opposed to most recent post made by anyone in that thread)? Maybe make it an option at the top of the screen in a couple of radio buttons.

Postings Listings

Post 2

Jim Lynn

What, and throw away all that hard work I had to go through to pre-sort them and show un-replied-to posts first?

Oh, OK then.

Postings Listings

Post 3

beeline

Cool! Keep the other sort order as well, though - they're both useful for different things:

'Most recent post for specific person' enables you to find a particular person's most recent postings - almost 'where they are' if they're on-line.

'Most recent replies' lets you know which are the busiest forums currently being used (in which that person was once involved).

Oh, and while you're at it, could you install a kitchen sink? Mine's blocked. smiley - winkeye

Postings Listings

Post 4

Jim Lynn

How can I keep two independent sort orders?

Postings Listings

Post 5

Spartus

Don't mind him--he's going out for drinks with Ant tonight. He probably started early.

Postings Listings

Post 6

CrazyOne

Hm, two independent sort orders... how about user choice? You know, that thing that makes stuff really great for the user and 10 times as difficult for the programmer. smiley - winkeye

Postings Listings

Post 7

Ant

Back form the drinks now, what was Beeline going on about anyway? Strange boy if you ask me smiley - winkeye

Postings Listings

Post 8

beeline

I was thinking of a couple of radio buttons at the top of the screen - click one and the sort is redone with the order of your choice. The sort that is currently used could appear first as the default (it's what people are used to now), but the option to display in another order could be there as well.

Can that be done, or is it hard? Or a waste of time?! smiley - winkeye

Postings Listings

Post 9

beeline

I'm assuming, of course, that the listing is generated live when the page is called (by calling the database specifying a userID or something). Maybe each set of posting listing is stored as-is in the database and updated with every new post, but that would surely take up a lot of unnecesary space.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, which is more likely!

Postings Listings

Post 10

Jim Lynn

No, those listings are live, which is why it's easy to change the sort order. Giving the user choice is more difficult. It'll need us to keep track of user preferences, which we don't do at the moment, but we will be doing soon. And the choice will extend into other areas, like how the forums are displayed.

Postings Listings

Post 11

beeline

Cookie monster alert, then!

While I have your attention, I also noticed that a User Page of mine called 'Jazz' has disappeared from my list. Don't know when, though. Does this bode poorly or well?

Postings Listings

Post 12

beeline

Forget that! I didn't realise the user pages list on my home page lists only the last 5.

D-apostrophe-Oh.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jim Lynn

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more