This is the Message Centre for Sho - employed again!

Finally got the Chef out running

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

It's been a long and bloody campaign. But I got him to come out running tonight. Actually we were supposed to take Gruesome #2 but she wouldn't go (she is taking part in a sponsored run soon - I don't think she realises how hard running actually is)

Anyhoo... for me it was my first outside run for ages - and it was awful for the first 20 minutes. Boy oh boy, I have to really push myself to go out again. But smiley - chef peeled off as I headed for home and did a bit extra - which is great news. Now I have to make sure he goes out again.

Post 2

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I absolutely must get back into running regularly myself, too. At this point I darn near need someone running in front of me with a piece of smiley - cake or a carrot on a string or something...

Post 3

Websailor

In view of your other thread, I hope you were suitably attired smiley - smiley

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 4

KB

I've been easing my way back into it, after doing none for ohhhh, nearly a year. I started it because I had to run like hell to catch a train (which I did catch). By the time I finished and got there, I felt great and couldn't remember why I stopped running.

It's really a fantastic feeling sometimes, huh? smiley - wow

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

I love the feeling afterwards. To be honest these days I've preferred to either use the cross trainer (less painful on my bad knee) or the running machine in the gym (my inner control-freak loves that)

But there is nothing better than the feeling right after you stop running. Especially when you have that "oh I could do another bit" feeling. smiley - run

As to the reference to my other thread - in a stroke of Irony I was wearing a rather fab M&S running bra smiley - rofl

Post 6

Websailor

smiley - rofl

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 7

Malabarista - now with added pony

Running? You mean, like, voluntarily? smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

Hang on to your hat, Mala. I like smiley - run

smiley - laugh

And smiley - chef used to run ultra marathons and things like that. I'd love him to get fit enough to do the Biel/Bienne 100km thing again.

Post 9

*faints*

Isn't that what smiley - ponys are for? smiley - winkeye

Post 10

Sho - employed again!

*tries to imagine smiley - chef on a smiley - pony*

smiley - rofl

Post 11

KB

Wellllll, I did say running can be fun, but at 100k it stops being running and starts being insanity. smiley - winkeye

But the best thing about running is getting to say the word "Fartlek" sometimes. *snigger*

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

Blimey! Fartlek - that's a word out of my dark, murky past!

I found this on W*k* [my comment]:

-Warmup: easy running for 5 to 10 minutes. [sounds doable]
-Steady, hard speed for 1.5–2 km; like a long repetition. [er... no]
-Recovery: rapid walking for about 5 minutes. [rapid lying down after that last one]
-Start of speed work: easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50–60 m, repeated until a little tired. ['a little tired' = a little dead in Sho-speak]
-Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner). [actually, that sounds doable]
-Full speed uphill for 175–200 m. [boy am I glad it's flat as a pancake round here]
-Fast pace for 1 minute. [smiley - rofl]
The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

Post 13

Sho - employed again!

poop - I meant to comment on the last line:

-The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed. [now they're extracting the urine - points one through two already used my weekly training allowance]

Post 14

KB

Ohhhh, that's a much more scientific version of it than mine.

Mine is

- Jog a bit

- Walk a bit

- Run like a nut until I reach that bush over there

- run normally for a wee while.

There used to be a "stop for a smoke" in there too, but I just can't do that any more. smiley - laugh

Post 15

Sho - employed again!

stop for a smoke? smiley - rofl I remember when we used to finish our army fitness test just about all of us (including the instructor) used to light up.

I do lampposts if I really want to vary my training - sprint one, slow jog one, fast jog one, slow jog one, sprint one...

I usually manage to do that for about 3 lampposts.

Post 16

KB

I used to smoke while I was running, sometimes. If anyone is in any doubt about the damage smoking causes to the lungs, doing that will set them right. It was a practice that didn't last very long! smiley - laugh

Post 17

So why do you always dawdle when walking? smiley - tongueincheek

Post 18

Sho - employed again!

ME!?

I do not dawdle. Not ever.
pfui!

However, I am aware that when I walk I do rocket around, so when I'm in a group I tend to walk at the pace of the slowest, or just walk slowly just in case.

smiley - laugh

Post 19

Sho - employed again!

oh - you meant him?

hehe

Post 20

smiley - laugh I did mean him.

You walk at a sensible (ie fast) pace yourself smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post