A Conversation for Panchen Lama

Will we Ever Learn?

Post 1

Ginger The Feisty

I think your article poses an important question, JTG. Do you think we will ever learn from past mistakes? When will we accept that we can't correct the wrongs of the past by committing another wrong? I think this is further demonstrated by the events within Zimbabwe.

Will we Ever Learn?

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

We do seem doomed to repeat cycles of destruction and despair; but I am optimistic that we are gradually, painfully, spiralling upwards... with the occassional slip backwards. A hundred years ago, few would have questioned the right of the mighty to exploit the weak; nowadays, most people at least pay lip service to the ideal of the universality of human rights. The Internet is a powerful tool for the good (as well as a lot of cheap thrillssmiley - winkeye) that enables those who want to see a better world to work together towards that end. There are some huge hurdles to overcome: tyranical regimes like the despots presently in control of China and the poverty of African nations chief among them; but, on the whole, I share the Dalai Lama and the Queen Mother's (hey, haven't we had this discussion before?smiley - winkeye) belief that the world at the start of the 21st Century is a much more humane place than the world at the start of the 20th. We should take heart from this and use it to press the cause of freedom and justice. Hooray!smiley - smiley

JTG

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more