This is the Message Centre for Tim Smith-Antarctic Correspondant Extraordinare

Hi Tim

Post 1

Abi

Hi I am Abi and I am the Deputy Community Editor here at h2g2. Welcome - it is good to know that you are cutting some rug out in Antartica! The editorial team here includes an ex-professional dancer and we have salsa lessons every Friday! smiley - smiley

I think it is almost without doubt that you are our only researcher in Antartica. How are the penguins?

Oh what I meant to say was if you have any questions please pop by my page and leave me a message! Welcome!

Hi Tim

Post 2

Tim Smith-Antarctic Correspondant Extraordinare

Thanks for the warm welcome, those of us spending the winter in Antarctica take warmth wherever we can find it. I will try to find time to submit some articles, I have in mind a walking tour of McMurdo station. and perhaps an appendix to the articles on staying sane for those who are considering spending the winter in Antarctica.

Hi Tim

Post 3

Bruce

Sounds cool err, goodsmiley - winkeye

Any chance of some pictures - or would they just be white boxes on the screen?

;^)#

Hi Tim

Post 4

Abi

Well the entire editorial team are hanging on your every word!! We will drink to your health at the softball party tomorrow! smiley - smiley

Hi Tim

Post 5

Richard

Hello Tim

I'm delighted you're on board partly because its great to have a researcher from Antarctica, also because a good friend of mine Art Mortvedt has been down there for the last three summers as a pilot and mostly because I very keen to get there myself one day.

Look forward to reading all about it.

Hi Tim

Post 6

shazzPRME

I would also like to express an interest! As the editor of the POST, anything which you come up with would be sure to grab our readers attention. smiley - smiley
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye

Hi Tim

Post 7

Demon Drawer

Shazz check out the walking tour of McMurdo sound, it's a good article.

Hi Tim

Post 8

shazzPRME

I have! I agree! I have asked permission to run it as an article, and also if he has any pictures smiley - smiley

Hi Tim

Post 9

Demon Drawer

Kewl smiley - bigeyes

Looking forward to seeing those if there are any. smiley - smiley

Hi Tim

Post 10

Peta

Thanks for the entry on McMurdo Station Tim. It's excellent. I've circulated the URL around the h2g2 office... smiley - smiley

Hi Tim

Post 11

shazzPRME

Have you seen our version in the POST Peta?? We have 10 great pictures in it which make the article even more spectacularsmiley - smiley
Tim has kindly agreed to be a victim of the 1-1 also!

Hi Tim

Post 12

Richard

Hello Tim

I'm on of the people who set up h2g2 and followed up Peta's recommendation to have a look at your entry. It is great and I can't wait to get down there. In the meantime please keep posting. Best Richard

Hi Tim

Post 13

Peta

Tim,

Richard is in the very early stages of planning a trip; Flying a microlight from London to the Antarctic.

A few years ago Richard led a team from London to New York overland via Siberia, so we fully expect him to realise this new plan...

smiley - smiley

Hi Tim

Post 14

Tim Smith-Antarctic Correspondant Extraordinare

Is a microlight the same as an ultralight airplane? If so, he is a much braver person than I. I would not want to try and fly so light a plane in a place where the winds are this fierce, this regularly.

Hi Tim

Post 15

Peta

I believe it's the same kind of thing. Apparently the difficult bit is going to be the crossing from Macquerie Islands. They don't carry an awful lot of fuel.

Hi Tim

Post 16

Bruce

Visions of a Richard with a backpack full of the proverbial oily rags springs to mindsmiley - winkeye

;^)#

Hi Tim

Post 17

Richard

Early days in the planning process. The microlight plane I fly can cope with the same kind of wind conditions as a Cessna. Art M has done a lot of that in the Anarctic - when its too windy, which as you say it often is, he just stops and sets up camp.

But I've a long way to go just to get there either via North and South America or via India and Australia and least they are well travelled routes.

And its all at least a couple of years off smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Tim Smith-Antarctic Correspondant Extraordinare

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more