This is the Message Centre for Array

Driving in Massachusetts

Post 1

Array

There are many stories about the driving skills (or lack thereof) of Massachusetts drivers. Sadly, most of them appear to be true.

Having learned to drive in a state where the driving laws are (more or less) strictly enforced, I find driving in Massachusetts to be a bit..... interesting.

There are some basic rules to adhere to, if one expects to survive driving in Massachusetts, especially in/around Boston:

1. Don't expect anyone to use their directional blinkers. If they DO use them, that's a bonus. Apparently, they believe that the blinkers are a way to tell others what they intend to do, so that the other drivers can take steps to prevent the intended move.

2. Don't use your blinkers when trying to move from one lane to another. In doing so, the other drivers will almost certainly try to prevent you from doing what you want/need to do. Your best bet is to just do it.

3. During Rush Hour, speed limits (on the highways) are almost unenforcable. Do whatever speed everyone else is doing, which is roughly 85mph in a 65mph zone. The police are more concerned with accidents that are going on at that time of the day.

4. If the weather is making a turn for the worst (i.e. fog, rain, snow), expect severe delays. Bad Weather invariably spooks some drivers, causing them (and everyone behind them) to slow down to about 45mph. Be ready for it. As an example, a trip that would normally take about an hour can easily become a three hour trip. Bring a snack.

5. If there are any accidents or any vehicles with mechanical issues in either lane (going your direction or against), expect delays. Time frames are varied. The problem here is that there are some drivers that are curious to see what sort of damage was done. They generally have no intention of stopping to help, though; they just want to look. I recommend having someone in your vehicle with you for such occasions; that way, they can describe the event(s) to you, and you can keep your eyes on the road. This will also prevent you from becoming the subject of scrutiny for thousands of others.

6. Learn several routes between two points. If you have to make this trip regularly, knowing (and using) several routes can help you save time if you know that there are traffic problems on your primary route.

7. It is legal in Massachussets to travel in the breakdown lane. Granted, this is only during Rush Hour, but it is still something to be aware of. People often get into the habit of doing this that they forget that it may not be allowed in all places. Other times, they are simply apathetic of this fact, and they do it anyway.

In spite of Rules #3 and #7, it is still important to watch yourself. You are less likely to be stopped by the police if you don't stick out. This means that (in the case of #3) you are going about as fast as everyone else, and (in the case of #7) you are not the first or last person in the line of people driving illegally in the breakdown lane.

Driving in Massachusetts

Post 2

Norberg01

Timex,

Also be sure to keep in mind that some confusion has been associated with the names/route numbers of roads in Massachusetts, specifically in and around Boston. Driving north into Boston from the Plymouth area, Route 3 splits and becomes 93 North (going into Boston) and 93 South (going around Boston through Braintree and Dedham). Route 3 North disappears at this split in a pointed game of Hide and Seek, in which it will eventually only find Route 3 again when travelling South.

Although 93 North continues into and out of Boston up into New Hampshire, 93 South circumvents Boston. Confusingly, it also takes on the name of Route 128 South at one point, as well as Route 95 North (you figure this one out. Geographers have been vexed by this for years).

Good Luck in your travels in our wonderful state and beware of THE BIG DIG, which is an entire entry in itself.

Nordberg

Driving in Massachusetts

Post 3

Array

Nordberg,

It's interesting that you should bring up the route numbers; I am currently living in Fall River and working in Waltham. As a direct result, I find Route 24 North -> 93 South ->128/95 North the fastest route (most of the time)....

I agree with your comments, and I am wondering if there is much of a difference in the driving practices on different routes.... This clearly requires More Research. smiley - winkeye

Between us, I think we can surely document some of the navigational nightmares, not counting the Big Dig, of course (that would be a task unto itself!)

Timex

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Array

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more