This is the Message Centre for Hoovooloo

University Project Entries

Post 1

Josh the Genius

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A686937

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A675858

These are my two articles. What do you think?

Post 2

Hoovooloo

Hi Josh.

Sorry, I've been away from home for a little over a week - it's been windier in the last few days in the UK than any time I can remember, so I've been off windsurfing. I'm back now, and I'll read your entries just as soon as I can. Thank you very much for doing them, I'll let you know as soon as I've any comments.

Sorry for the delay.

H.

Post 3

Josh the Genius

I read your article on windsurfing. Sounds like fun!

Post 4

Ste

Ok, my turn:

The Theory of Evolution - A673319

Creationism and Creation-Science - A Perspective - A671717

The evolution entry is a monster. It will take a while to go through. I still want to polish it up slightly, but it is 99.9% finished. All i want to say is in there.

The second entry I am very fond of actually, be gentle with that one wontcha H? smiley - biggrin

It's your turn now smiley - winkeye

Stesmiley - stout

Post 5

Ste

Since when did you become humble Josh?

smiley - winkeye

Stesmiley - stout

Post 6

Josh the Genius

I'm very proud of how humble I am.

Seriously, I've been thinking about your thoughts on industrial melanism. Can you cite me a genuine case where it has occurred? If so, I think I ought to remove the Kettlewell bit.

Post 7

Ste

Um, I have some papers at home. I can't remember the references. I'll try to look them up now online.

Be right back

Stesmiley - ale

Post 8

Ste

It's probably best you remove it. If you leave it in I would cited these in the discussion smiley - biggrin :

- BISHOP, J. A. 1972. An experimental study of the cline of industrial melanism in Biston betularia (L.) (Lepidoptera) between urban Liverpool and rural North Wales. J. Anim. Ecol. 41:209-243.

- CLARKE, C. A. AND P. M. SHEPPARD. 1966. A local survey of the distribution of the industrial melanic forms of the moth Biston betularia and estimates of the selective values of these forms in an industrial environment. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 165:424-439.

- COOK, L. M., R. H. L. DENNIS, AND G. S. MANI. 1999. Melanic morph frequency in the peppered moth in the Manchester area. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 266:293-297.

- GRANT, B. S., A. D. COOK, C. A. CLARKE, AND D. F. OWEN. 1998. Geographic and temporal variation in the incidence of melanism in peppered moth populations in America and Britain. J. Hered. 89:465-471

- Lees, D. R., E. R. Creed & J. G. Duckett. 1973.Atmospheric pollution and industrial melanism. Heredity 30: 227-32.

- OWEN, D. F. 1962. The evolution of melanism in six species of North American geometrid moths. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Amer. 55:695-703.

There are more. An lecturer of mine (Dr, D R Lees) was an expert in this field, so I got it shoved down my throat for a large chunk of my final year at University. Some of it sunk in so I know a bit about it.

So you *are* humble. Will wonders never cease smiley - winkeye

Stesmiley - stout

Post 9

Josh the Genius

Sounds convincing. I will HUMBLY remove the Kettlewell bitsmiley - winkeye

Post 10

Ste

Ok, I take it back. My evolution entry is not ready due to some damn good feedback from my new best mate, The Shee. smiley - biggrin

Tell you when I'm done

Stesmiley - stout

Post 11

Ste

Hi, exciting news:

My Father-in-Law in an Episcopal (i.e., closest thing Americans have to the CoE) priest and a theologian. He was alsa nationally recognised as a leader in the field of post-traumatic stress disorder and spiritual recovery, before he retired last year.

He taught a class a while back on the theological, historical reasons for the conflict between "christian literalists" and "scientific empiricalists". I have been reading this stuff today. It really is a VERY good read. I phoned him today and asked whether he could adapt this for this project (I have introduced him to h2g2 and he seems enthusiastic about it, but his current health could have been better at the time, so he wanted to get into it when he felt more recovered) and he seemed happy about me and him working on this together. He already has it as a Word document, so it would take some editing to cut down the length and bingo! It could possibly take very little time.

The stuff I have read really gets down to the root of the problem in a very clear manner. He is a scholar of scripture and knows it back to front. Especially Genesis it seems.

He is logged on as a Researcher. Go to this thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/FFM81353?thread=158859&skip=0&show=20#p1597319. The first response is his, and this is the only thing he had time to do on h2g2 so far it seems.

So then what do you think H?

Stesmiley - stout

Post 12

Ste

A699573 - "Creationism - The Mainstream Christian Viewpoint"

What this entry is at the moment is Bill's notes that I mentioned before altered only for guideML format.

As of Feb 21 it remains unedited by myself, but soon I will get into it to try and make it into a more readable format. I won't have much work to do.

Hoovooloo, take a look. I think you'll be very impressed, I was. The actual content I will try as hard as I can to leave untouched. It just needs fleshing out by me. Therefore it will be a co-authorship between Bill (U188502) and myself. He would do it himself but he has too many other things to worry about at the moment.

Excitedly smiley - biggrin,

Stesmiley - stout

Post 13

Ste

Oh, and after you've read it I'd be open to a change of title, I'm not happy with the current one and cannot think of any decent snappy titles.

You have a good track record ("fundamental(ist) errors smiley - laugh), so suggestions are welcome.

smiley - smiley

Stesmiley - stout

Post 14

Ste

I've edited this new entry, shouldn't need that much more work. Comments welcome.

Stesmiley - stout

Post 15

Hoovooloo

Quick! Check out the BBC radio 4 programmes "Today"'s website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/listen/listen.shtml

realaudio discussion (5m02s) of creationism - apparently Ohio are about to debate teaching "intelligent design". Interesting, if frustratingly truncated as these things often are.

H.

Post 16

Ste

Hi,

I was thinking (yes, you can get back up off the floor now)...

Do you want me to do two evolution entries? The one I have done is large, maybe a bit large. I could do "The Theory of Evolution" which just describes the theory and also write "The Evidence for Evolution". I listed some evidence in a thread with Josh: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/FFM78168?thread=160012&skip=80&show=20#p1794513, and I realised that I could cut down my original evolution entry by taking out some examples and putting them in an entry with some more. There's enough out there and I have a rough idea of the format of the entry...

What do you think? Is there enough time?

Stesmiley - earth

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hoovooloo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more