This is the Message Centre for Craze Diplodicus

Freedom's Curtain Call

Post 1

Craze Diplodicus

Today, I pulled a mummified rat out of the wall with my left hand. Scratched my arm pretty badly. The rat had been there for years upon years, sitting there alone, trying to enjoy being a dead rat. I ponder the question of its success. For what if we are all just dead rats stuck in our wall? We can hear all the Big People walking around outside, making a lot of noise, doing people things, but we are stuck here in our walls, doomed to decompose as disgustingly as possible. What if a long time ago, we got stuck in the wall. We were still alive back then, but once we got stuck in that spot next to the doorway where the power cables ran, we started to die. The actual dying process couldn't have been too long. The rat dies from starvation. Or maybe it realized that there was absolutely no hope, decided to make this experience mercifully brief, and chewed on the power cables. The choice probably wasn't too difficult.
Perhaps that decision wasn't necessary, though. The rat I found had one broken wrist. Perhaps it was just that wrist that was caught. But that wrist was all it took to trap the entire rat in that part of the wall. If the rat chewed that wrist off, wouldn't it have been able to get out? Sure, it would be limping around with a rotting stump, but it would heal if infection could be avoided for long enough. Even then, it would be limping around on a not-rotting stump, but at least it would be able to limp.
If that rat had just pried its attention off the hunger and its jaws off the power cables long enough, its eyes might have wandered by chance to its wrist, where the entire problem was originated anyway. Let us weigh. Wrist... Life... Wrist... Freedom from wall... Wrist... Freedom from hearing people do unknown things while starving to death... Wrist... Opportunity... Wrist... Causing a very inconvenient power outage, also resulting in instantaneous and irresversible death.
I think we pay too much attention to how many wrists we have to realize that we don't have to spend all day (every day) stuck in a wall.
Fellow rats: Chew those cumbersome wrists right off come join me in a world of freedom from nasty walls! We'll all be awkwardly hobbling about, but why let that stop us from having a good time of it? What do you say to that? Come hobble with me.

Key: Complain about this post

Freedom's Curtain Call

More Conversations for Craze Diplodicus

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more