This is the Message Centre for BluesSlider

Historical reenactment among others

Post 1

Anya

Hey, that's quite an article on historical reenactment as opposed to role-playing. As I'm quite a devotee of the Amtgard LARP, it was nice to see about reenactment from other historical periods.

By the way, your pal Morgan sent me over to your article. Are you into folk music too?

Post 2

BluesSlider

Hi Anya, glad you liked the article smiley - smiley.

I do like Folk music, but I'm not as heavily into it as Morgan, my leanings tend to be more Blues oriented (Surprise, surprise smiley - smiley).

Post 3

Anya

Blues is good, unfortunately as I live Memphis for most of the year, I do get burnt out - and I've always been more into bawdy 17th century ballads. They get such a nice reaction out of people.

Post 4

Morgan

Slider, I'm sure you'll agree there are few sights as obnoxious as Frenchies celebrating victory. In view of the travesty of justice that was called Euro 2000 and the subsequent scenes on the news, I trust that you and your brave comrades will give the Frenchies a damn good seeing to this weekend? I shall of course offer moral support from the beer fest smiley - smiley

Post 5

BluesSlider

Indeed, my dear sir, we will be endeavouring to curtail the French victory celebrations smiley - smiley That is the beauty of Napoleonic re-enactment if you happen to be British. Your support is greatfully received, I shall have it washed and returned at the end of this camaign smiley - smiley.

Anya, I can understand burn out if you spend most of your time in Memphis and I agree, if you want to get the audience going, there's probably nothing like a rollicking, bawdy ballad. Wouldn't you agree Morgan?

Post 6

Anya

When have the French won anything? Or am I just being a stupid American? Please don't hold it against me.smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Morgan

I certainly would agree, old chap. As Steve Knightley of Show of Hands said at the workshop I attended recently, if you're losing the audience your best bet is either to sing about sex, or to launch into an up-tempo twelve-bar smiley - smiley

Post 8

BluesSlider

Name dropper smiley - tongueout Wonder if there will be any rollicking ballads in La Belle France? A few bottles of vino and I might be tempted to a rendition of The Widow of Westmorland smiley - smiley

Post 9

BluesSlider

Oh, and Anya, I doubt very much you are a stupid American smiley - smiley

Post 10

Anya

I am an American, though - and as far as bawdy French songs go - well, Reynardine is a vaguely French name, though the song is thought to be of Irish origin and isn't really bawdy as such.

Recommendation: Walking in a Meadowe Greene, a song that made my friends blush:

"They lay so close together, it made me much to wonder!/ I knew not which was whether, until I saw her under/ And then he came and blusht for shame, so soon that he had endit/ But still she lies and to him cries: Once more and none can mend it."

And that is one of the milder verses. And it is accurately dated to the 17th century, unlike most broadsides. A different time, indeed.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for BluesSlider

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more