A Conversation for The Aces' Home Page

A change to the NewUsers list

Post 1

Jim Lynn

I've just applied a change to the way the NewUsers list works. Now, it will sort and filter users based on the date they joined h2g2, rather than the date they first joined DNA (although, for now, it will still show the date they joined DNA in the date column).

In theory, this should make the process of ACEing slightly easier, in that users new to h2g2 should now always be on the top of the list, rather than buried way down the list as they previously were.

I haven't done anything about the performance of this page, though, so it still takes a long time to generate the page, but at least now it's more useful.

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - wow that sounds great, thanks Jim. smiley - cheers

On the other hand: does that mean that it didn't show h2g2 newbies only? I seem to recall that after the last change we were assured it would only show those from h2g2.

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

I strongly suspect it still *does* show newbies from all the DNA sites

When loading this page:
<./>NewUsers?TimeUnits=1&UnitType=week&Filter=off&thissite=1</.>

...I find an un-ACEd user named OriginalMaxwellBlue, but when I check his user page, he only seems to have posted on 1xtra

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes, that's what Jim said now. But we were all convinced it only showed h2g2 users all the time.

Post 5

Jim Lynn

I believe it does only show users who have joined h2g2. The reason for any doubts is probably that you don't have to post anything or contribute anything to appear on the list - all you need to do is sign in and agree to the terms and conditions.

So even if you find someone who has only posted to the messageboards, it should be OK to welcome them because they have, at some point, actively chosen to agree to the T&Cs, even if they haven't, then, gone on to write anything.

(It's just possible that there's a strange combination of actions which could get a user on this list without them ever agreeing to the terms, but I don't know of one. OriginalMaxwellBlue definitely has joined because he's even updated his personal space.)

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

I recently welcomed a newbie who told me he hadn't been aware that he joined h2g2 - he had meant to post to some other DNA message board. But hey, he was pleased enough with the welcome to reply to it, and even thinking of contributing something, so that was nice. smiley - biggrin

Post 7

Gar the nerd

I did get to see the Terms & Coditions on signing in but I was't redirected to the <./>Welcome</.> page smiley - smiley

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

But it's an h2g2 welcome page, isn't it?

Post 9

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

If you look into your Message Centre, you received an ACE's greeting from myself. That includes links to the <./>Welcome</.> page and other interesting pages smiley - winkeye

lil xx
smiley - magic

Post 10

Andy

smiley - somersaultand the button workssmiley - wow

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

Which button? smiley - huh

Post 12

Andy

my who's online button i have had to cheat and right click and open link because ordinary click didn't worksmiley - bigeyes

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh. Ok. smiley - smiley

Post 14

Andy

did yours work smiley - laugh

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

I don't know, I never use it. I only use my 'hootoo online' link on my PS smiley - blush

Post 16

Andy

i did that the other just because it was easier smiley - rofl

Post 17

aka Bel - A87832164

What, you used *my* link? smiley - winkeye

Post 18

Andy

Your link smiley - erm

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

I was joking smiley - biggrin

Post 20

Andy

yes yes i know i dint know what link you mean i have two online name and id i have had them a while

Key: Complain about this post