This is the Message Centre for Metal Chicken

Snapshots of 2013 - NaJoPoMo Day 4

Post 1

Metal Chicken

A uke is small, hence easily portable and doesn't need much space to play. This is particularly useful when crammed into a small space in the lounge of my Mother's residential home trying to play a few oldies that they might just remember.

On a good day, my audience tap their toes, clap their hands, conduct and might even sing along.

On a bad day, they ignore the music, fall asleep and snore. It can be unnerving, as with the one lady who likes to stand right in front of the music and stare very intensely or when my Mother tries to grab hold of and eat the song book...

At its best, it is an uplifting experience that leaves all participants smiling, even if many of them instantly forget why they're feeling hapy. When a normally silent, passive resident begins singing along to 'If you were the only girl in the world' I'm not sure who is most shocked - me, the staff or the lady herself. The power of music to connect, even with those suffering from the most advanced dementia, never fails to surprise me.

Post 2

You can call me TC

That's a great thing you're doing there, Metal Chicken - music can transcend their difficulties and warm the cockles of their hearts, although, as you say, they might not even know why.

What sort of songs go down best?
How old are the residents?
How long have you been doing it? (sorry if I've missed something here)
Do you go every week?

Have you seen my suggestion to hold a ukulele workshop at 511?thread=51185" >F19585?thread=8305220&skip=45&show=5

Post 3

Metal Chicken

Hi TC, Thanks for your comments.

This is something I started doing a year or more ago, initially because my Mother was always intensely musical and I thought she might be missing that activity. She's been in the home for 4 years now and as her dementia advanced,holding a conversation became impossible, so singing songs became something we could still do together. Then I realised the other residents were also enjoying a bit of a sing song and carried on.

The residents are mostly in their 80s & 90s, so wartime songs and things from the classic jazz era tend to go down best. I also throw in the occasional Beatles or more modern number for the staff. One of the carers has put in a request for Def Leppard but I'm not sure how well that's going to work on uke!

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You're an angel, Metal Chicken, you're doing something really wonderful here. I've heard how beneficial singing old songs can be with the elderly dementia patients. I also recently was listening to someone describing a study into singing lullabies to sick children in hospital. ie live music right at the babies cot side.

smiley - angel <=== Metal Chicken smiley - magic

Post 5

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Metal Chicken

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more