This is the Message Centre for Metal Chicken

NaJoWriMo3 - Monumental construction

Post 1

Metal Chicken

I've had a long day. Took the train down to London early this morning for a day working at our Stratford office, right by the massive building site preparing for the 2012 London Olympics. Working on the principle of finding something to amuse myself with before heading home, I went to have a closer look at the construction works. And rising above them, what I really wanted to see, the half-finished Orbit tower designed by Anish Kapoor. This abstract structure hasn't been universally welcomed, but I like bold public art and I like towers that let you climb to high viewpoints and I like the look of this. The steep climbs and tight curves of the open-lattice red framework call to mind rollercoasters but it also made me think of calligraphic flourishes, the infinity symbol, a treble clef and for some reason I can't fathom - ants. Strange. Must arrange another trip to the Stratford office when it's nearer completion, or better still when it's open to climb up and look out over London.

Key: Complain about this post

NaJoWriMo3 - Monumental construction

More Conversations for Metal Chicken

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more