This is the Message Centre for FilmFan

Scaling the Video Mountain

Post 1

FilmFan

Finally knuckled down to some Video Mountain scaling today. Caught up with an Abel Ferrara double-bill of "Driller Killer" (which owes a MASSIVE debt to Repulsion, right down to the skinned rabbit - it was a bit like 'Smithereens Goes Mental', as it seemed to share the support cast of New York deadbeats) and "Ms.45", which was MUCH better than I thought it was going to be. Abel Ferrara is one SICK puppy though - it's one thing to make a cameo in your movies, or even play the main role as in Driller Killer, but to cameo as the principal rapist, now that's just f****d up... Incidentally, since the rape is what sets her off on her killing spree anyway, I find it ridiculous that the BBFC hacked it so badly. The rape scene in Boys Don't Cry was equally integral, story-wise and they left that alone. Of course you can't go around arguing for "re-instated full-length rape-scenes" or people will question your Guardian-reading credentials... Bizarre film though, (again, with a huge debt to Polanski) with some truly original scenes, a stunning final sequence, and also what is surely a minor-parody of a scene in Manhatten (isn't that the same bench by the bridge?).

Also watched "China 9, Liberty 37" - a classic and rarely-seen Monte Walsh western. Also famous as yet another film where Jenny Agutter Gets Very Naked Indeed. In fact, this must be the most sexually explicit (not to say erotic) western ever made. Also starring The Great Warren Oates, so you KNOW it's good. Since no-one apparently recorded Hellman's "The Shooting", I'll be desperately hoping they show it again...

Finally, just watched "The Craft" on C4, which was mildly entertaining, and at least had That Nice Robin Tunney and Fairuza Balk in it. (I fail to see the attraction of Neve Campbell). "The Bitches of Eastwick" indeed...

Key: Complain about this post

Scaling the Video Mountain

More Conversations for FilmFan

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more