A Conversation for County Antrim, Northern Ireland

UK Counties & Regions - NI - County Antrim

Post 1

Paully

Anybody from Antrim able to help us write an entry about their County? smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 2

astro-girl

hey paully, this is my first post. i live in belfast in co. Antrim. what type of things do you want to know, i will try to help you. Co Antrim is quite a good place to live (in between riots and fights) with plenty of landmarks. The cities are large but not too crowded and you are never far from the country side. belfast for exanple is positioned in a valley surrounded by hills on three sides and the sea on the other.

Any way im not entirely sure what you are wanting so if you let me know i will try to let you know.

astro-girl

Post 3

Paully

Hi Astro-Girl!

The kind of thing that we're looking for is a fairly brief-ish description (maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs - maybe more if you're happy to write more!) about County Antrim. The kind of info we're hoping to get is:

** General location of the county in the UK (Northwest, Midlands, Highlands), including bordering counties.

** The main towns and cities there, plus any tourist attractions or places of note.

** A very basic history of the county (which, for those counties created in 1974 or after might include a little background about the region before the county was formed). Some counties will be famous for specific key events in history, which we'd also like to know about.

** Any geographical features (lakes in Cumbria, Peak District in Derbyshire, Pennines in Yorkshire/Greater Manchester)

** Links to other related entries for the region.

So do you think you might be able to help us by getting this information together? smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 4

astro-girl

i can try. it may not be very good but i shuld be able to include all the bits i find interesting. i dont know very much about the history except that its nearly all fighting between two religions, but then again if you can understand the politics of northern ireland, youve missed the point

astro-girl

Post 5

KB

I'd be happy to lend a hand with this too.

Post 6

Paully

Excellent stuff - it'll be great to see a quality co-written entry on County Antrim in the Guide! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 7

KB

OK, here's a start.

A6109508

Post 8

Paully

An *excellent* start there! Great stuff!

Paully

Post 9

Demon Drawer

SB there is one entry about County Antrim and a place you totally forgot to mention A526682 Dunluce Castle

Post 10

KB

Thanks DD - Dunluce was one of the things I intended to mention, I must have had some sort of mental lapse smiley - ok

Post 11

Stu

smiley - ok

As regards to mentioning Belfast, isn't it technically a county in it's own right and therefore seperate from Co. Antrim? Kinda like London? Not sure of the exact status though. But a lot of Belfast is actually in Co. Down.

Also, Ballymena deserves a mention I think.

Post 12

Demon Drawer

I have an entry on Belfast in progress. I'll get unto that to complete the set.

Post 13

Demon Drawer

Here's the link A2835597

Post 14

KB

Well, Antrim isn't really an administrative division any more - a number of borough/town etc councils run it. So in that sense Belfast is no different to any of the other areas with their own council.

Good point about Ballymena, thanks!

Some of south & East Belfast is on the Down side of the Lagan, I mentioned the Lagan as the division but I'll make that more clear too.

Post 15

Demon Drawer

And I'll compete my article on the Lagan eventually as well. smiley - smiley

Post 16

KB

You good ol' workhorse! smiley - tongueout

Post 17

Demon Drawer

Hey I have time now

Post 18

KB

Paully, since this thread is effectively turning into a Peer Review type thread, should I just put it in there?

Post 19

KB

Actually, scratch that question, since it's still most definitely a work in progress.

Post 20

Paully

Nah, keep this thread ticking over for people to add any further suggestions - once you're happy with the factual content, submit it as per usual to Peer Review and hopefully the gang in their will give it the once-over for grammar, spelling, any obvious omissions, etc. smiley - smiley

Paully

Key: Complain about this post