A Conversation for Dalriada - or The Highlands of Scotland. (work in progress)

Scottish Researchers in The Guide, submit username here for a mention.

Post 1

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Post 2

Crescent

Me, well mostly.....

Post 3

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Crescent, I've nicked a reference to your article on abriachnan, hope this is ok.

Post 4

Merkin

An ickle bit

Post 5

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

100% Scots, and I lived on a distillery for 17 years, too! (Now living in Aberdeen)

Post 6

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Merkin, could you define ickle?

Post 7

Crescent

Nae bother

Post 8

Merkin

My mother's Danish but my father is descended from the Russells. So I support Denmark in football and Scotland in rugby

Post 9

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Merkin,

Where were YOU born?

Post 10

Merkin

*sigh* Chertsey, but then my dad was born in Bangalore, but I wouldn't call him an Indian! Can we start a nature-nurture argument? Oh go on!!

Post 11

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

It was only to determine whether I should include you in the list of Scottish Researchers. I could definately include you in a list of 'Scottsh Descent Researchers' which I may include. I'm not being petty as I'm still developing this idea. So I will leave it up to you to decide - Do you want to be included as a Scottish Researcher, or would you prefer a Scottish Descent Researcher link? I am totally open to suggestions here - on a non-abusive, contructive kind that is - I won't accept any derogatory references/suggestions, and am not looking to start any arguments.

Post 12

Merkin

Since I feel the good folks of H2G2 look to these sort of things as a way of pinning people down a little more geographically, I shall choose to remain geographically anonymous. However, if you can stick me in a clan run down if it ever gets that far!! (BTW, if you're looking for arguments, which admittedly I suually am, you could inject a bit of new life into this one http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=513&thread=295)

I had started writing an article on the Quiraing if you feel like adding it to your list of links. http://www.h2g2.com/A117145

Post 13

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Thanks for the link, buddy. I have to agree, I lived on skye for about 9 years, and have to return whenever possible.

I will include it eventually.

Fair enough, then I won't put you in the researchers link but will in the caln rundown (is there an article on this already).

Post 14

Merkin

Dunno. Where did you live on Skye? I first went there 3 summers ago, kind of by accident. I was staying in the Cairngorms with some friends, and saw a picture of the Quiraing in a book, and had to see it, so we did. Had a very wierd time, and every year have ended up back there. I'm convinced it's a northern relative of Ayer's Rock.

Post 15

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Mostly round about portree, the main port. Spent a couple of years in Craiglea - about 3 miles outside portree. Fond memories of climbing in the Cuilins, and farting around on boats in Portree bay.
Funnily enough, I never did get to the Quiraing, but it is spectacular. As to the link with Ayer's Rock...hmmmmm. Weird in what way?

Post 16

Jim Craig

Jim Craig - Contemporary Scottish Poetry - see Poetry Events& Gigs in Glasgow et al via h2g2com/u 32028 and links to other Scottish poetry pages.

Post 17

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

Many thanks, jim, for the link to poetry.

Post 18

Zipo Bibrok

ya me i'm scottish dont do much though names zipo bibrok

Post 19

Taipan - Jack of Hearts

good to hear from you, zipo.

Alford? Think I knew a chef from there, name of Bruce, sometimes works in one of the local pubs - can't remember which one though. If I remember rightly, it's a very small place so I would imagine most of the locals know everyone else.

Post 20

Malgor

Hi Taipan,
I'm from Livingston, in West Lothian. I am of Viking descent (on both sides of the family), but my ancestors have been in Scotland since the late 1600s.

If you can think of anything I can help you with, just yell :o)

-Malgor

PS My girlfriend (neesk) is from Linlithgow, and knows a lot of history of the area - I'll point her in this direction.

Key: Complain about this post