A Conversation for Psychiatry

A patient's response

Post 1

Anya

I agree that what mentally ill patients need is humanity and treatment. But the treatment of the mentally ill is in many cases the problem. I once spent time in a state-run mental hospital. They gave no conclusive diagnosis. There was no individual or group psychotherapy. No family therapy. They did, however medicate me. Almost immediately I was placed on Risperdol - I later found out that it was usually given to schizophrenics, which I am not. All it did was place me in a zombie like state - nothing much mattered. I had trouble sleeping. No problem! They put me on Trazadone. No trouble sleeping after that - I fell asleep constantly.

That pales in comparison to the treatment of the children there. As I was in the adolescent ward, we were in contact with the younger children - some of whom, I found out, were not mentally ill, but unwanted children in the foster care system, too young for a group home. I saw a four year old girl placed in an isolation room for acting out. I saw people restrained in terrifying and inhumane ways; I was given no school work or help in finishing my education. I was not allowed to have my books brought from home, so I just sort of sat on a couch all day and stagnated.

I was soon transfered to a long-term facility where I was able to finish the school year on time - and given an accurate diagnosis and the proper medicine.

I saw one psychiatrist on the outside who was rude, abrupt and unresponsive to my needs. I finally worked up the courage to tell him off and quit seeing him. My therapist congratulated me - he was a former patient of this psychiatrist.

A final note: I no longer see a psychiatrist. My prescriptions are written by a family doctor. A psychiatrist is virtually useless outside a hospital - all he does is write presciptions, something a family doctor can do. Much cheaper to see a psychotherapist and have a family doctor write prescriptions. Perhaps it's different in Europe, but as an American struggling to keep up with medical costs, a psychiatrist's fees are prohibitive.

Key: Complain about this post

A patient's response

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more