This is the Message Centre for JamesB

Spring

Post 1

JamesB

The Garden City is in full spring. Blossom covers the trees. Bike racks and kayak carriers have replaced the ski racks on cars. Rugby posts have been taken down, and boys are playing cricket. The temperatures are now a more pleasant 20 degrees or so, and it's light until 8.30.
There was still time for another day up at Mount Hutt, with some fine spring corn snow and views over the plains and out to the Pacific Ocean. I doubt there's anywhere else in the world with better skiing in October.
The All Blacks maintained their unbeaten record against Scotland, and next team to be beaten will be France, on the way to the final. The other finalist will be either the Springboks or the Wallabies, and that semi should be a cracker.
In the NPC final, Auckland overcame a spirited Wellington side, to give Michael Jones the perfect last match of a wonderful career. Also up in Auckland the Louis Vuitton Cup is underway, in which many teams are competing for the right to challenge New Zealand for the Americas Cup in February.
At the moment I'm reading "Annapurna" by Maurice Herzog, the account of his pioneering first ascent in 1950. It's interesting for me, since I was walking in that region in October/November last year, although it probably loses something in the translation from French.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for JamesB

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more