This is the Message Centre for Ormondroyd

The final flick

Post 1

Ormondroyd

I am devastated. Part of my childhood has just been demolished. Subbuteo table football is no longer going to be produced, its manufacturers having decided that they simply can't compete with computer games.
Now, I like a game of "Virtua Striker 2" as much as the next big kid, but I can't help feeling that the loss of Subbuteo is a great pity. For the uninitiated, it is/was a game played on a baize "pitch" using little plastic player figures on round bases, weighted so that they tend to stay upright, which are flicked at a lightweight ball. And when I was growing up I played it for hours and hours and hours. It helped to nurture my football obsession. So, some might say, it had a lot to answer for...

The final flick

Post 2

dacha

Quite. I was practically in tears when I heard the news. I too am a computer games lover. However, nothing could recreate the glory of my schools Subbuteo competition when I managed to defeat Everton, played by a guy who I had a number of fights with, one lunch time to reach the quarter finals, I support Liverpool by the way. I lost to Leicester in the next round but such is life. My weekends were spent playing the game against friends and I collected such stupid items as a complete team in tracksuits!

In fact it had made such an impact on me and my family during my early years that my mum phoned me up when she read the news to tell me!

FYI As an employee of a famous auction house who have just launched a terrific website (see my homepage) I have to say start saving all the players, packaging etc. as toys are highly collectable and ones that get lost or broken and were once popular are likely to be the most valuable. Just a little financial tip for the new year (by the way don't expect any return on your investment until you're about 70-if you were born in 1960).

The final flick

Post 3

Ormondroyd

As late as the late Eighties we had a Subbuteo tournament at lunchtime in the Civil Service where I worked. We planned it well in advance and actually ordered replicas of our home-town teams by mail order from Subbuteo. And so it was that my Bradford City team beat Stirling Albion in the first round, only to go out to Millwall in the next. Happy days - or happy lunchtimes, anyway...

The final flick

Post 4

dacha

This just in . . .

HASBRO have announced they are to continue making Subbuteo due to customer demand.

Time to get out the green cloth again methinks!

Maybe we could have a virtual Subbuteo game table in the Forum and Firkin?

Extra time!

Post 5

Ormondroyd

Great news, dacha! I just read that Hasbro, the manufacturers of Subbuteo, have changed their minds about scrapping the game after being overwhelmed with phone calls from distraught fans. Their spokesman now says that he "looks forward to introducing Subbuteo to a new generation of fans"! Result!!! smiley - smiley

Extra time!

Post 6

Ormondroyd

Great minds think alike smiley - smiley and what good news! Yeah, I'm up for a virtual game any time!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ormondroyd

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more