A Conversation for Unix

Curator Changes: Unix

Post 1

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

<./>Test180901</.>

I added a reference to the article A9050852, An Introduction to the Unix Command Line, following from a conversation in Editorial Feedback, at F47997?thread=3230217 (see post 4).

TRiG.smiley - biro

Post 2

I'd like to add an ALT tag to the image, but I'm not sure what it is. "An owl sitting at a typewriter" was my first instinct, but it might be a beaver, on reflection. Actually, it definitely isn't an owl: it has no beak. Any suggestions?

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 3

six7s

Google is your friend smiley - smiley

Search string: B132144 site:bbc.co.uk

Results 1 - 1 of 1 from bbc.co.uk for B132144. (0.84 seconds)

BBC - h2g2 - Pictures: The Natural World - Animals
www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A426601 - 131k - Cached - Similar pages

However... there's a thread hanging off A426601 there's a thread (F52601?thread=80115) called << Are you sure that's a beaver!?? >>

So far, the jury is still out

Post 4

Impressive, six7s. I'll call it a beaver for now, on the understanding that that's what it's meant to be. For the purpose of this Entry, it really doesn't matter.

TRiG.smiley - ta

Post 5

Done. Thanks.

TRiG.smiley - biro

Post 6

six7s

Hi TRiG,

As mentioned at F47997?thread=3230217 I think this entry is a tad light

How about adding a sentence with the words "command line" and/or "bare-bones no-frills" ???

Then you could link this entry to A9050852 - An Introduction to the Unix Command Line

Post 7

It's linked from the References section (cf post 1). A link from the text would be nice, but I think I'd have to rewrite the Entry a bit to do it. Can you suggest a minor tweak?

TRiG.smiley - surfersmiley - spacesmiley - footprintssmiley - spacesmiley - tennisball

Post 8

six7s

"It's linked from the References section (cf post 1)"

Whoops! Note to self: Must learn to read

"Can you suggest a minor tweak?"

OK... I'll have a go - but I'm a lover, not a writer smiley - silly

I notice that the 2nd para ends with "a text-based user interface which A BLIND WOMBAT could have designed with more flair"

So maybe... ALT="blind wombat" ????

Also... it occurs to me that the words TEXT-BASED USER INTERFACE could be used, I reckon, as a link to A9050852 - which starts by saying

"Unix is a multi-user multi-tasking operating system, and if you were to install and run a bare-bones no-frills Unix system, you would most likely find yourself in front of this:

smiley - spacesmiley - space Welcome to Unix.
smiley - spacesmiley - space localhost login:

Or something very similar. It is here that you type your username, and then when prompted, you type your password, and then ...

Waddaya reckon????

Using the word 'designed' twice in as many paragraphs jars - at least to me

How about editing the 1st sentence in the 3rd para as follows:

>> Unix was designed primarily to make it easy for clever people to do many clever things.

To:
<< Unix was primarily concerned with making it easy for clever people to do many clever things.

Key: Complain about this post