This is the Message Centre for Phil

Help! I need some advice

Post 1

a girl called Ben

Hi Phil

I am a contractor, as you know, and not in a contract, as you also know. I wanted to ask you if you know anything about the situation regarding benefits and signing on in the UK. I need to get some thing sorted out really soon now.

I have re-written my CV so that I can go for temp jobs, and will be signing up with the local temp agencies tomorrow, but I need to cover at least my mortgage interest, and it is all a little scary right now... smiley - yikes so any info on where to start with the benefits situation would be a huge help.

Ben

Help! I need some advice

Post 2

Phil

Hello Ben, the best advice I can give is to get down to your local job centre. What sort of benefits and how much you can get depend on a number of things - NI contribution record, when you last worked (I had to leave it 6 months as I resigned before I could get benefit), how much capital you have.
I'm not sure on the specifics for those who have been self employed but I do know that it can be done as my Brother in Law was signing on - he was in a similar situation to you as an IT contractor.
Oh and be warned, the forms you've got to fill in are horrendous! (and make sure you know what youre NI number is as well. Everything is referenced to that).

Help! I need some advice

Post 3

a girl called Ben

Good advice, I just needed a starting point. I will get my NI number and go down there on Thursday; it would be tomorrow, but I am already booked for something else then.

Thanks

B

Help! I need some advice

Post 4

Phil

I hope it turns out OK for you. Some job centre staff can be very arsey about helping people it seems. Thankfully I've never had that but I have heard some horror stories.
Let me know how it all goes, have a for good luck smiley - winkeye

Help! I need some advice

Post 5

Phil

Hi Ben
Did you manage to sort anything out?

Help! I need some advice

Post 6

a girl called Ben

To be honest I haven't got much further on that preparing my CV. Life keeps on getting in the way! I have been put forward for at least one 'real' job, and hopefully for three, though. But I am going away for a week, and it seemed more sensible to hit the local agencies when I was actually available.

I'll keep you posted.

B

Help! I need some advice

Post 7

Phil

Sounds sensible.
I've just finished filling in an application form. Thankfully it's mostly cut and paste from the last one as the jobs I'm going for are almost identical (support roles) so I don't have to think too much about it again.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Phil

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more