A Conversation for 'The Mysterious Cities Of Gold' - Children's TV Programme

Can you buy the series??

Post 1

fitzycherrytilidie

Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy one of the all time great children's series please? Many thanks

Can you buy the series??

Post 2

kirkas1

i am kirk, looking to buy the series too. im wondering if u had any luck?smiley - smiley

Can you buy the series?? YES YOU CAN!!

Post 3

MichelleDevonshire

I am the very proud owner of all 39 episodes! smiley - biggrin But they don't have the documentaries at the end of each episode.

I can tell you where I bought them: www.raretv.co.uk

I've just checked the link and it's still there. Strangely though, I bought a 2 DVD version, yet now they have a 4 DVD version for sale. There are no further details on the website but if you decide to make the purchase, please would you let me know why there are 4 not 2 DVDs?

Enjoy!

smiley - magic Michelle smiley - magic

Post 4

gr_icer50007

The four disc set of dvds of the mysterious cities of gold from raretv.com does contain the documentaries. Each disc has 10 episodes with documentaries grouped together at the end of the disc. However at the moment, there is a fault with disc four which i`m told will be sent as soon as possible. An alternative is the website www.mysteriouscitiesofgold.co.uk which offers an eight disc set with five episodes per disc, each episode immediately followed by it`s documentary. Also there are the "to follow" and in the last episode recaps on this collection, plus some deleted scenes, according to the description on the website, although i confess i haven`t got that far through them yet. Although slighty more expensive than the raretv discs, these might be a better bet? smiley - smiley

Post 5

gr_icer50007

P.S. i fogot my manners. BIG thankyou to michelledevonshire for enabling me to obtain this fantastic series that has stood the test of time remarkably well.smiley - biggrin

Post 6

gr_icer50007

smiley - ermsmiley - wah!! CORRECTION TO POST RE: 8 DISC MYSTERIOUS CITIES OF GOLD DVD SET!! smiley - ermsmiley - wah:
I have made a mistake: the website from which the eight disc set can be obtained is actually www.mysteriouscitiesofgolduk.com. A thousand apologies, not too good at this yet!

Post 7

gr_icer50007

smiley - smileyIt would appear that The Mysterious Cities of Gold is to get an official dvd release, as it seems a lot of the sites offering fan made products are not operating as such now. Apparently a company called fabulous films (i think that`s right)has obtained the rights to TMCoG and is looking to release the series on separate discs and as a box set in february 2008, and from what i`ve been able to find out, seem to be set on doing a good job of it. HURRAH! smiley - cheers

Post 8

gr_icer50007

There is now a listing for a 6 dvd box set on hmv.co.uk, available for pre order (you have to be a "registered shopper" to do this, it seems), currently due for release on 24/03/2008. As far as I can tell the box set is exclusive to HMV (maybe available in other stores as single discs?). Additional features seem set to include interviews with the voice actors for the 4 main characters, creators Jean Chalopin and Bernard Deyries and co-composer Shuki Levy, plusthe 39 documentaries an A3 poster,booklet and 6 postcards. Furthermore, there are very early signs that the series is being adapted for a movie for release either this year or next... smiley - smiley

Post 9

gr_icer50007

Just for the sake of completeness, The Mysterious Cities of Gold dvd set is only exclusive to HMV for three months and released countrywide in june, although I believe this box set will not be as special as the HMV exclusive version, ie less in the way of extras noted above.

Post 10

gr_icer50007

I don`t know the truth of it, as I have read that the original master tapes of Haim Saban & Shuki Levy`s music had been lost (much as happened with the late, great Jerry Goldsmith`s score for the film "Legend" and the paper score for John Williams` Superman - but I digress), but on play.com, the Mysterious Cities of Gold DVD box set is shown as "with play.com exclusive bonus soundtrack CD". This set is due for release on 23/06/2008, but as noted above does not have as many extras as HMV`s set, at least not the poster or postcards, still if it`s true, the CD of the series music more than makes up for that...?

Post 11

gr_icer50007

Now that the non HMV set is available, I can make what I hope will be my final entry on this subject! This "standard" set has all the extras the HMV set had, but the poster and six postcards use different artwork, as does the outer slip case of the set. All the content on the discs themselves is exactly the same. There is one extra booklet, "historical facts", with information about the real characters and locations in the series. As for the play.com exclusive soundtrack CD, this is a disappointment at only 14 minutes long, given the amount of music composed for the series, and in my opinion, doesn`t contain the best cues either.

Post 12

gr_icer50007

Just to keep things up to date, It would appear a movie will now not be made, instead 3 follow up TV series are being worked on in France, the first due in 2011 - seems a long time to wait, but then we were waiting 25 years for the DVD of the original - unfortunately only in the french language at present as far as I can tell, unless interest is shown by English language TV stations. I have emailed the BBC, In the hope of at least starting to show them there is some interest out there among the viewing public, but I don`t think it carried much weight. If anyone else is interested in doing so, it can be done through the contact us option at the bottom of the BBC homepage. It`s not too easy to find, but further instructions can be found in the Yahoo discussion group for The Mysterious Cities of Gold during the posts made in June this year. Maybe if enough requests are received, something may happen? Maybe there`ll still be a DVD?
Lastly, for now, a slimline version of the DVD set of the original is being released on the 20th July at around £25 - don`t yet know whether this has all the extras of the other sets too, though.

Post 13

gr_icer50007

This new set has the same extras as the earlier versions, except for the poster and postcards.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'The Mysterious Cities Of Gold' - Children's TV Programme

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more