This is the Message Centre for swl

Do we need another Cromwell?

Post 1

swl

Another day, another MP caught with his fingers in the till. It's all rather reminiscent of the dying days of the Tories last time, when Labour shouted "sleaze, sleaze, sleaze" at every opportunity. It contributed to a Labour landslide and led Tony Blair to declare of his party "We will be whiter than white".

MPs however declare that "It's all within the rules", perfectly legal and above board. Rules that they themselves wrote of course. How strange that they lead the clamour against Fred Goodwin & his perfectly legal & legitimate pension, declaring it against the "spirit" of the rules. Hypocrites.

Rewind 350 years and we've been here before.

"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!"

Cromwell, April 1653.

Post 2

everso

Yes, and whose head will be first on the block? smiley - smiley

Let's face it, though. Corruption occurs not because of politics but because of human nature. It will make not a jot of difference which party is in power in that respect.

Is that terribly cynical of me?

Post 3

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Well, in these situations I like to quote the Bonzos:

No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Post 4

Baron Grim

Let's go with Heinlein's suggestion that the leaders are chosen by lottery because anyone who actually wants the job can't be trusted with it.

Post 5

Mister Matty

The irony is that Cromwell appointed a "Parliament of Saints" to replace the corrupt incumbents and, surprise surprise, they didn't turn out to be as good as he thought they were.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for swl

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more