This is the Message Centre for swl

Half Trained

Post 1

swl

Well, I'm half way through my training as a volunteer for Victim Support. Very interesting it is too. The facts and figures are one thing, but it's the anecdotal stories told by the staff that are a real eye-opener. Some would break your heart whilst others opened my eyes to issues I hadn't even considered.

There was one part of the training I found quite funny. Split into groups, we were given an envelope with slips of paper in. Each slip of paper detailed an issue or made a provocative statement and the challenge was to achieve a consensus through persuasion & debate. Out of about a dozen pieces of paper, I think we've debated about 10/11 of them here on H2G2 extensively over the years and the experience was invaluable. Part of the fun in holding a contrary opinion on the threads here is seeing not just one, but various different arguments used to prove me wrong. It's fantastic for developing a wider understanding of the issues and also for refining and defining my own position. I'm sometimes wrong, but I'm more often right - just not for the reasons I thought I was. So when these pieces of paper were pulled out, I was able to give a clear and concise opinion that won the day most of the time. All credit to H2G2.

So the training will be over in a few weeks and I'll be let loose to do my worst. Interesting times.

Half Trained

Post 2

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

h2g2 has been wonderful to me.

TRiG.smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for swl

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more