A Conversation for Unfinished Business of the Century

Missing socks

Post 21

Fred the Haddock

Much to silly..

The only solutionis to only buy one type of socks, put them all in a drawer loose, then it never matters how many are missing - you can always find two that match

Missing socks

Post 22

Frizzychick

But what happens when you get down to only one sock - you can't pretend nothing has happened, you've got one sock left... And you have to wear only one sort of sock, ever, for your entire life? What about coordinating with the rest of your outfit?

I lost a slipper in the washing machine last week! I can't keep replacing pairs of identical slippers.

Missing socks

Post 23

Merkin

I've tried that. Had about 8 pairs of plain black socks, all bought from the same shop. They now all look completely different due to shrinkage wear, discolouration, and none of them match!!. So I gave up buying identical pairs and went back to only buying socks that were patterned, but once again, the socks are running from me....

Missing socks

Post 24

Red

I think that the problem you may have is confusing your laundry basket with your dustbin. I know that it is very tempting to go out and by new socks when you run out of clean ones, and as you have noticed, it is not the most economical solution!

Missing socks

Post 25

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Just did my laundry, all socks accounted for. They must be watching.......

Missing socks

Post 26

Merkin

Now that's scary!

Missing socks

Post 27

What? Me doing laundry, or socks monitoring h2g2?

Missing socks

Post 28

Merkin

The first is a cause of concern, but the second causes icicles to form on my barnacles.

P.S. hope you're voting for me (not that I want to win you understand, but I need more than one to look respectable!)

Forgive my ignorance....

Post 29

Is there an election? You aren't really Ken Livingstone or Frank Der-Da-Der-Der-Dobson are you?

I haven't had as much time as I'd like to amble round the site recently, so I've probably missed a few things....

Missing socks

Post 30

Merry

yes, this problem affects us all, as can easily be pointed out it is direct evidence for parallel universes.

Keeping them rolled together in little pairs, so they look like plump hamsters, is a good way, even when you are wearing them (this also induces a degree of flexibility into your ankles and an interesting gait).

You could train cats to hunt them out. Our kittens steal them from the wash basket and kill them all over the house. They took my daughter's bra out and have polished it off somewhere this morning. What kind of animal they thought that was I have no idea and probably should not speculate given the agreement we signed up to before completing registration.

On the sock item, it's no good keeping them clipped together with those little bendy metal tags that you sometimes buy them with, because then you walk round like a three-legged race, only worse.

Good luck. If you wore tights, of course, then you wouldn't lose just one half.

bibismiley - smileymerry

Missing socks

Post 31

Anyone who loses half a pair of tights is going to get a reputation.......

Missing socks

Post 32

Merkin

It could be caused by a particular viscious ladder.

Missing socks

Post 33

Only the gullible or innocent would believe that

Missing socks

Post 34

Merkin

I'm innocent. smiley - bigeyes

Missing socks

Post 35

The Cow

I'm not smiley - smiley

Missing socks

Post 36

Merry

In which case, the big question of what do you do with half a pair of tights becomes important - is it a sexist or feminist issue, and could it be the subject of a [very] late night programme on Channel 5?

Missing socks

Post 37

Surely you mean Channel 4? Channel 5's late night programming can hardly be described as feminist. How many blokes watch feminist debates on Newsnight with their trousers down? (MPs excepted)

Missing socks

Post 38

Oh, and Ollie Reed

Missing socks

Post 39

The Cow

It -IS- sexist though.

Missing socks

Post 40

So is life! Get over it, new Millennium, new things to make noise about......

Key: Complain about this post