A Conversation for Joan Clarke - Mathematician and Codebreaker

Peer Review: A88029813 - Joan Clarke - Mathematician and Codebreaker

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: Joan Clarke - Mathematician and Codebreaker - A88029813
Author: SashaQ - happysad - U9936370

This Entry had been waiting to appear on the Front Page, so the Edited Version wasn't available in the Wayback Machine. I was able to recover the Peer Review version, though.

A88029813 - Joan Clarke - Mathematician and Codebreaker

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Sacha. I had a quick read through but was struck almost at once by the fact that you assume the reader knows what the Enigma codes and Enigma machine were. I think a few sentences to explain these would be worthwhile, even though they are probably explained elsewhere.

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Gnomon - excellent point. I have added some explanation, and think that looks better smiley - ok

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

You now have a link on the word 'Bombe' to an entry about two computers, neither or which is described as a Bombe. The entry doesn't even contain the word Bombe, although it does mention Polish devices called Bombas, which I presume are the same.

Could you say something in your entry about what a Bombe is? Is it a digital computer?

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Gnomon smiley - ok The link on Bombe was there before, but it was too tenuous, I agree - I have moved it to a footnote.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 6

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Congratulations on this being picked.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Joan Clarke - Mathematician and Codebreaker

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more