A Conversation for Theatre Lighting Technicians

Lighting Technicians

Post 1

Tom Sofa

It is though not widely understood throughout the entire theatrical profession that lighting technicians are ,generally, after the initial hectic setting-up period of a show, amongst those with the most pleasant of roles in creating the magic of "show". Any lighting engineer is only too pleased to note how through the years technology has improved the possibilities for their craft. Not so long ago electricians would have to toil over huge contraptions, with heavy metal wheels and steel cables pulling qreat chunks of metal around to alter the resistance of a lighting channel. Nowadays, however, the most strenuous effort the lighting opperator may have whilst running a show could be containing their laughter at something funny someone has said "on cans" - the closed intercom system by which the different technical departments communicate during a show. A "Lazy Lampie" can often get away with only having to flick some switches, change a light bulb or two and press a few buttons every working day - and recieve full pay. Truly, it must be said that this profession is one for those who know that stress and serious exertion need not be part of the everyday work routine.

Lighting Technicians

Post 2

Jen the Almost Magnificent

Mmmm...and where did you have a gig like that? I want to go! Educational settings are always a bit more hardcore than that...now, if it's a union gig, that's another story...don't want poor, hapless theatre students go into lighting because they think it'll be a breeze...the average hang and focus for a show that i've worked on (university level) i'd say would be 18-24 hrs...and remember, it's not a lighthang unless you almost plunge to your death at least once! smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Theatre Lighting Technicians

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more