A Conversation for Durham, N.C.

Collaborative Writing Workshop: A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 1

D_Cole

Entry: Durham, N.C. - A4270484
Author: D_Cole - U1654698

What other information could I add?

A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Not sure - I've never been there smiley - winkeye It depends really - some people write lengthy entries about towns and cities, including the town's history, famous people associated with the place, what to do at night, where to shop, parks, museums etc, while others write fairly short entries which still manage to convey a feel of the place, like Austin for instance A457076. It's entirely up to you how much information you want to include.

This is really very good and almost ready for Peer Review I reckon, if that's your intention for it. My comments below are based on that assumption and any remarks about House Style can be largely ignored if you're going to submit it somewhere else.

I reckon it would be nice to mention that the Durham Bulls are a Minor League team, and perhaps work in a mention of Bull Durham... unless you're not a fan of Kevin Costner, and I know there are a few who don't much care for him. Don't know why really - it's one of my favourite films.

The opening header should be removed if you submit it to PR - that's the House Style as laid down by the Editors.

Footnote 1: "vast ope spaces" - open

The quote in the 'Ninth Street' section needs to be in italics and have the quotation marks removed, and the attribution should be right under the quote instead of in a footnote, like this A1084411

A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 3

One other thing - that opening header calls it 'The City of Medicine', but there's no explanation in the entry why it's called that, leastways none that I could see.

A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 4

D_Cole

Yeah, I'll fix the grammatical errors and placement errors. Also, it definitely is a good idea to work in the Durham Bulls minor league thing. I may add the Kostner reference, but I've never actually SEEN Bull Durham (yeah, I know, shame on the Durham-Boy, lol).
Thanks a lot!

A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 5

D_Cole

Do you think it's ready for Peer Review now? If so, how do I move my entry from CCW to PR?

A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 6

I think that more information and content could probably be added, and putting it into PR would be the way to find out exactly what, so yeah, I think it's ready.

First thing you have to do is remove it from the CWW - go to Writing-Collaborative, find your entry in the list and click on the 'x' (or the word 'Remove', depending on which skin you're using). Once you've done that the 'Submit entry' button will reappear on the entry - maybe not immediately since the servers and the database have to update their cache. Once it comes back you can then submit the entry to PR the same way you submitted it to the CWW.

A couple of words of advice. Firstly, when moving an entry from one review forum to another it's necessary to provide a link to the previous (ie, this) forum conversation so that reviewers can read what went before and find out what suggestions have already been made, which in this case would be F57152?thread=665494.

Secondly, PR has a reputation for being something of a bearpit, a reputation which it really doesn't deserve. This is *your* entry, it's a good one, and it has the potential to be even better, as everything does. By all means listen to constructive criticism - grammar and spelling corrections, advice about House Style, anyone who says 'I didn't follow that bit, can you explain it more clearly?', but ask for justification if someone makes a suggestion that you can't see any good reason for or which would change the the entry so much that it becomes something you didn't intend. They may well have a point... they may not. I'm one of those Scouts who seems have a reputation for being, er, brusque (who, me? smiley - angel Some have likened us to piranhas, others have suggested that we must be the sort of people who eat our own young... well, I couldn't eat a whole child at one sitting smiley - tongueout), and I'll be watching your back smiley - winkeye

A4270484 - Durham, N.C.

Post 7

D_Cole

Thanks much, Ook!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more