A Conversation for Sikh

Peer Review: A4248128 - Applied Sikhism

Post 1

leroy

Entry: Applied Sikhism - A4248128
Author: amazingleroy - U1646866

This is a brief description on the every day life of a practising Sikh.
I have other information but at the moment I shall keep it at this.

Many thanks & regards.
amazingleroy.

A4248128 - Applied Sikhism

Post 2

echomikeromeo

Hi amazingleroysmiley - smiley

This is pretty cool, and it looks like it would make for a great entry! Unfortunately, we already have an Edited Entry, A816923, on Sikhism. However, if you have any new information to add to the existing entry, please do so. If it's just a few sentences, head on down to <./>Feedback-Editorial</.>, but if you think a large amount of information needs to be added to the entry (though it looks pretty complete to me, but what do I know) then the UpdateForum is the place to go!

Sorry to let you down like that... but please don't hesitate to add anything that needs to be added to the Sikhism entry, and keep contributing to h2g2!

smiley - dragon

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Actually, I'm going to disagree with EMR here. We have several of entries in the Edited Guide on Islam, and several on Catholicism, so I don't see any reason why we can't have more than one on Sikhism. The only issue is that they need to cover distinct content -- and by and large, this entry here does seem distinct from the entry on Sikhism in general, so I don't think that will be a major problem.

I would like to see *more* in this entry, though -- for example, are the rules/guidelines/expectations any different for women vs men, adults vs children?

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Post 4

echomikeromeo

Mikey, I concede your point. I take back what I said in the previous post.smiley - smileysmiley - ok I just saw 'Sikhism' and thought wait... I've seen that somewhere before... So smiley - sorry, I didn't mean to dash your hopes for no reason at all.

I also agree that there could be more detail. You say you do have more information - I would really like to see it!

And maybe a slight alteration of the title? To me 'Applied Sikhism' sounds like a sect of the religion, when I think that what you're describing is more like the daily routine. Perhaps something like 'A Day in the Life of a Sikh'? Or does that sound way too tacky?

smiley - dragon

Post 5

leroy

Thanks Mikey

For your input on this guide. I will add some more information in the next few days.

Thanks & regards
Leroy.smiley - biggrin

Post 6

leroy

Thanks EMR for your input on this guide.

I chose the "Applied" since most information is on Sikhism tends to be

"pure" in the sense of explaining the theory rather than the practice.

I will add more information shortly.

Thanks & regards
Leroy.smiley - biggrin

Post 7

leroy

Please note additinal information.

Many thanks.smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

One thing that is important for Edited Guide entries is that you need to try and be as well-balanced as you can -- this means doing your best to include other opinions than just your own, and to show both positives and negatives.

In this case, I feel like you've told a lot about what is great about Sikhism in day-to-day life, but not much about what can be challenging or difficult. Right now, it reads a almost like an advertisment for Sikhism rather than a description that incorporates multiple perspectives.

Does this make sense?

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Post 9

leroy

Thank you for reply Mikey.

I cannot see a downside on this subject. There will be people who disagree with certain aspects which I hope can be answered through the discussions link. I have not found anything challenging or difficult with regard to Sikhism.

I personally think this topic will attract some discussion and after hearing other view points you may consider editing the content.

I have expressed my feelings as someone who firmly believes and practises the subject.

If you wish to make some alterations or add something please feel free to do so. For me the beauty of this subject is in the fact there have been no challenges or difficulties and I wish to emphasise that point.

Regards
Leroy.smiley - biggrin

Post 10

echomikeromeo

Leroysmiley - smiley

This entry can't just be about your own experience with Sikhism. It has to be about what anyone might encounter if they decided it was a path they wanted to follow. If someone was starting out with the religion for the very first time, what are some things that you think people might have difficulty getting used to?

smiley - dragon

Post 11

leroy

Thanks mike for your feedback.smiley - bubbly

I have added another paragraph which I hope , in total , cover the whole range on "applying" Sikhism.

With regards to the title I would like to bounce a couple of ideas.smiley - cheers

Which would you prefer "Applied Sikhism", "Applying Sikhism",or "Application of Sikhism". I think The title will be eye catching and attract discussion. What is your verdict?smiley - smiley

Post 12

KB

Hi Leroy. This is promising.
A couple of things struck me with it.
When you say "The divine knowledge of God is obtained through the true Guru", I think you should say who or what this is. I assumed it was a person, but as I read on it appears it is a book. You could make this a bit clearer.

It would benefit from a few more links to other entries, too.

Perhaps you could break it into sections, with headings for eg. Meals, prayer times, or the different times of day and what is done at each time?

Regarding the title, I think it is fine, but if people think it sounds like a particular type of Sikhism, perhaps something like "Sikhism in Everyday Life" would be clearer.

Post 13

leroy

Thanks king_Bomba for your input. I have made some additions/alterations
for review. I don't really want to go any further in depth since the other guideon Sikhism has covered a lot of points.

Please let me know your verdict on this as a guide entry.

Thanks & regards.smiley - biggrin

Post 14

Sea Change

Are all Sikh practices supposed to promote health, or are the health benefits you mention a beneficial side effect?

I've had hair down to the middle of my back before, and if there were any health benefits gained from it, I sure didn't notice. Maybe my neck muscles gained more fast twitch fibers from flipping it out of my eyes? Having a long hair in one's eyes isn't pleasant and hardly seems beneficial to me.

The Edited Guide is about true things. If you wish to assert something that many readers will find improbable, you should support it with fact(s), or say 'it is believed by Sikhs that...'.

Post 15

leroy

Thank you sea change for your input regarding this guide.

A sikh's hair is always tied up in a knot & kept covered so there is no danger of getting into the eyes or elsewhere.

I have removed the line saying "unshorn hair has health benefits" since I cannot justify this scientifically at this stage.

Please keep me informed about the development of your neck muscles!smiley - smiley

Post 16

Paully

Right, so where are we with this entry? Seems as though there's a lot of value in this one and it'd be a terrible shame to leave it festering at the bottom of PR for very much longer.

smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 17

Skankyrich [?]

Advice, anyone, please?

It seems all the changes have been made except those relating to the style of the entry. All right, it doesn't scan perfectly and the spelling and punctuation are a bit out, but I'm almost tempted to pick it because it's basically pretty good. Anyone think that's a bad choice?

If it's not ready in anyone's opinion, it's time for a move...

Post 18

echomikeromeo

It would take some subbing, certainly, but I think all the content's there, so why not?

Post 19

Sea Change

I think it's an interesting article and that it would be great if it were edited. I am not a Scout so I don't know what makes an acceptable pick. It doesn't meet the new criteria that were created when H2G2 lost some of it's BBC staff and went from 5 entries a day to 2, but there's always been some leeway here.

Post 20

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Author seems to have Elvised... Flea Market?

Key: Complain about this post