Peer Review: A4083996 - Quintus Sertorius

Post 1

theenglishman101

Entry: Quintus Sertorius - A4083996
Author: theenglishman101 - U1564104

Leave your commments here.

A4083996 - Quintus Sertorius

Post 2

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

this is a good start but there are a couple of inaccuracies
Metallus Pius was governor of 1 of Romes 2 Spanish Provinces
Pompey was 1 of Sullas proteges and was never part of Sertorius' senate
far from being disgraced by the manner of Sertorius's death (which they claimed was entirely Perpernas idea) Metallus and Pompey both went on to have long and successful careers
Metallus became Pontifax Maximus (head of the state religion) whilst Pompey went on to become Counsel twice and Romes most successful general until Julius Caesar eclipsed him

Post 3

theenglishman101

All right. I won't have much time to fix it but I'll try.

Post 4

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

no need to rush it smiley - smiley
you might like to look at presentation too
theres a bit at the beginning in capitals that should be changed

Post 5

theenglishman101

Thanks. By the way, how do I know if an entry of mine makes the Edited Guide and I'm too late to look at it at the Three Newest Entries?

Post 6

first of all it has to be picked by a scout
that can't be done until its been in PR for at least a week
then it goes to a subeditor before going to the editors for final polishing before going on the front page
that takes about a month on average I think
theres a page where you can keep track of whats coming up

Post 7

Dr Hell

One month??? Make that three... smiley - winkeye

Also, you'll notified via e-mail.

HELL

Post 8

especially if the subeditor elvises like on my last entry but hopefully that won't happen too often smiley - erm

Post 9

anhaga

'KNOWN AS THE FATHER OF GUERILLA WARFARE'

smiley - erm to whom?

Ho Chi Min, Che Guevera, Francis Marion, Lawrence of Arabia, George Washington all are quite loudly mentioned as "the father of Guerilla Warfare", but I can't find any reference to Quintus Sertorius in exactly those terms. Certainly he employed techniques which would later be termed 'guerilla', but one doubts that the Iberian irregulars of the Napoleonic wars saw themselves as following in the footsteps of Quintus.smiley - erm

Also, Plutarch should likely be mentioned as the source of most of what we know about Quintus: http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_text_plutarch_sertorius.htm

(although he was mentioned in passing by Tacitus [twice], Julius Caesar, and Suetonius [whom I've mentioned on another thread concerning one of theenglishman's entries.])

smiley - smiley

Post 10

I can't recall him being referred to as the father of guerilla warfare either
perhaps that could be changed to saying that he was unusual for a Roman general in that he understood guerilla warfare and used it effectively?

Post 11

theenglishman101

He's not credited as such, but he is the military leader in the earliest known records of the hit-and-run tactic used by Guevara and co. I suppose they didn't credit him with the technique since they probably despised the 'cheap' tactic (again, this is an educated guess.)

Post 12

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Maybe you could say that 'had he lived in the modern world he might have been known as a master of guerilla warfare'.

Thsi is looking very good though. I hope you can come back to it because it'll be worth seeing through to the end.

Post 13

Silverfish

It looks like theenglishman101 has elvised (last posting May 25th). I propose a move to the flea market. Any sedonds?

Post 14

Dr Hell

yep.

Key: Complain about this post