A Conversation for A Brief Shakespeare Bibliography

I thought...

Post 1

CrazyOne

...perhaps wrongly, of course, but I thought there was some "firstness" about Gentlemen of Verona? Hm. Now I'll be curious. Cos when I saw this performed at the New Globe, they billed it as the first in some way or other.

Begging your pardon

Post 2

CrazyOne

The info was in fact that it *may* be Shakespeare's first work for the stage. The item this is taken from was written over 3 years ago, so it's possible that something new has been discovered since.

Begging your pardon

Post 3

Kate

I should point out two things:

1. I nicked this off what appeared to be a reasonably reliable site, but for all I know it could have been written by some disinformation maniac,
and
2. The dates specified are for when the plays were written, not originally performed. And guessing when some of his stuff was written is - well, just that - guessing.

So it's possible that either my source was wrong or "Verona" was written later, but the first to hit the stage...maybe?

smiley - smiley Kate

Begging your pardon

Post 4

CrazyOne

Well, you know, the science of figuring out the exact dates of something written over 400 years ago isn't exactly, well, exact. smiley - winkeye

Begging your pardon

Post 5

logicus tracticus philosophicus

how exact rather like the switch off

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Brief Shakespeare Bibliography

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more