This is the Message Centre for Effers;England.

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 1

Effers;England.

Just started watching the second series of the Danish 'Killing'. Excellent.

And very quickly I'm able to get used to the subtitles...which often I find difficult as I got older and my concentration was shot.

I love the sound of Danish again and the acting..it is just so atmospheric like the first series. And the lovely Sarah Lund back..wearing a different jumper now.

All that low key intensity...and convolution.

The last series was around 20 one hour episodes to solve the case.

This case hopefully will be just as long.

(And I'll never watch any US rip-off of it).

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 2

Effers;England.

Forgot to mention how much I love the way that music starts just before the end of each episode. Very intense and dramatic. Dramatic in a very real way..and then continues as it end and the credits roll.

It's very clever the way it affects your emotions.

I'm so happy it's back. smiley - snork (And especially to see the lovely Sarah again..as the cleverest one..in that dead pan way she has..)

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 3

Effers;England.

Ace.

I love the way the camera goes in so close upon the faces at intervals..and not just when something dramatic is happening..but inner thinking going on.

Acting is absolutely brilliant. God I get off on top acting.

It's such a mysterious skill. Having tried myself in the past in amateur stuff.

It's a letting go of yourself and a 'grabbing by the scruff of the neck' at the same time...

(The Slap, the Aussie drama I'm into at present as well, also does that camera going really close on the faces as well. This technique would be hopeless though without actors who can really *act*.)

The incidental music for both dramas is really excellent as well.

Sound is incredibly important in good drama. Either have it really good or have none.

And transparently manipulative stuff that is cliched, makes me puke.

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 4

Effers;England.

Off for part three.

Sarah gets ever more interesting as she is always looking out for clues where others don't look...and in the interrogations pushing at the things people don't talk about...not distracted by what they don't want to talk about.

The male detectives are put to shame. And she's continually in trouble and upsetting collegues..because she sticks to the *real*. And they know she's good but can't work her out. She doesn't care though what they think...just single minded following the unfolding.

She was like that in the first 'Killing' but I got more aware...or maybe they play more on that in the second series.

I love her.

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 5

Effers;England.

Man it's hotting up...only 2 more left. Only 10 one hours for series two.

God these Danes know how to do good detective drama....and Sarah Lund totally rocks smiley - drool so enigmatic and intelligent..she's something..

Sofie Grabol the Danish actress is brilliant. The whole cast and everything about it is brilliant..including the way the music kicks in just before the end of each episode.

And I will *never* bring myself to watch a US version.

The atmosphere, the Danish language...the long slow build up over hours and hours of episodes...and the winding and unwinding...it's totally and utterly brilliant..I'm a total addict. smiley - biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIdjpdE41I&feature=related

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017h7m1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/nov/03/the-killing-sarah-lund

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 6

Effers;England.

I'm getting really fed up with the obsession to do with the jumpers the character, 'Sarah Lund' wears in the Killing..both series.

She's a fascianating *character* who the dramas revolve around because she's incredibly complex and intelligent. It's so refreshing...maybe a bit like 'Prime Suspect's' and DCI 'Jane Tennison'...but more enigmatic to me...and kind of 'other' more complex.

The actual dramas are also so complex...but oh no unimaginative morons obsess about her appearance (this time with clothes). Yeah it is fun and can be mentioned once, maybe twice...but its a *Woman* being strong and succesful and *not* a stereotype.

Yeah I'm unashamedly in love with the character but the jumper comes pretty low down the pecking order for me. smiley - laugh I watched all 20 episodes of the first series..without even noticing the jumper.

WUMs of course will love to play on this.

The actor playing the role is Sofie Grabol. Superb acting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/mar/13/the-killing-sofie-grabol-sarah-lund-interview

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 7

anhaga

It's Faroese, isn't it?smiley - winkeye

If some guy in Canada who never watches television knows that, then there must be a massive obsession about that sweater (jumper to you) somewhere.smiley - laugh

I googled it when you first mentioned the show and pretty much everything was about the jumper.

It looks like a typical, if understated, example of what we call here a "Christmas Sweater": http://ballsofwax.wordpress.com/tag/christmas-sweater/

I can't comment on the lady's acting, however.smiley - sadface

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 8

Effers;England.

Love that Christmas sweater smiley - winkeye

And yeah I'm also a bit hypocritical because I love the scenes in series 2 where you can see the long boots she now wears.

Amazed they aren't yet all over the web.

Of course it's very clever and the programme plays with 'image' ...but oh such much more..the brilliance of the actual acting and long drawn out story is my thing....and I think for a lot of Brits...we love our quality drama.

I dunno maybe it's a problem with having gone to Goldsmiths? You are so used to quickly analysing the surface thing/image..(let alone the whole thing to do with 'image' and specifically woman), that you are back onto the depth and wallowing in that.

(I'm truly stunned though, that my parents in their mid 70s..who are fairly philistine really...and normally watch nothing with subtitles...are into it as much as me..smiley - snork And the sweater doesn't much interest them either..)

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 9

Effers;England.

You might enjoy this link, from the "culture Show'...hope you can access.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFf2kYkcdY&feature=related

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 10

Effers;England.

Finito, and totally fantabulosa ending...Man those Danes....

The Killing. Hooray.

Post 11

Effers;England.

smiley - somersault

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Effers;England.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more