This is the Message Centre for Global Village Idiot

Outed

Post 1

Global Village Idiot

So, the secret's out, we are named and shamed smiley - smiley

If you came here hoping to see what a sub-editor calls home, well, I guess that now you know. Before you pass comment, please bear the following in mind:
1) We don't get paid;
2) We only pre-filter: Mark still makes the final inclusion decision on all articles;
3) No-one said our articles are better than yours (least of all us), we're just a bunch of people TDV think will follow the rules, and who can spell, mostly.
4) We don't get paid.

It's fun being part of the process, but it's also a responsibility. We are as aware as anyone of the negative effects of the submission backlog on the morale of the site - and we all hope things are getting better. I was banging on about it myself 10 weeks or more ago in discussions, 7 weeks ago in this very journal. We're doing what we can within the confines of having a life. Please bear with us.

re Syktyvkar

Post 2

Smerus

Dear GVI -

thanks for editing my article on Syktyvkar/Komi. One little point - in rewriting the first para it now looks as if Syktyvkar (the town) - rather than Komi (the republic) - has an area greater than Germany and a population of around 1 million, etc. If you get round to revisiting this perhaps you could retouch it appropriately!

Best regards
smerus

re Syktyvkar

Post 3

Global Village Idiot

Hi Smerus,

Thanks for the note, but re-reading the article, what got authorised was not as I subbed it. My version after subbing read the same as yours at this point: the "real" editors cut your sentence "The Komi Republic is part of the Russian Federation", and thereby missed out on the shift of subject to the country as a whole. I agree it now reads strangely. I'm not sure how the re-visiting of these things will work, but now we've got rid of the worst of the backlog, we'll hopefully start addressing these kinds of issues soon, but it's out of my hands.

Cheers,
Gary

PS - sorry about the delay replying - I simply didn't notice your posting before!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Global Village Idiot

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more