This is the Message Centre for cookiepuss

Tuesday 23rd August =^..^=

Post 1

cookiepuss

We tried to go to Maes Howe this morning but all the tours were booked until the 5.15pm one, so we booked on it.

Went to the Harray Potter, and bought some ceramic mushrooms and silver rings for ED, and a vase and earrings for me.

Then to Dounby for lunch at the Dounby Hotel, and booked an evening meal there. Afterwards we visited a click mill (one with a horizontal mill-wheel), and two museums of farming. At the first one they were trying to find homes for some kittens,smiley - catsmiley - catsmiley - cat and YD was hopeful until we pointed out that it is a three day journey home - not ideal with a cat in the car. She could understand that and just made friends with a black kitten.smiley - blackcat

We stopped at Marwick and YD & O/H went for a walk along the beach. YD came back with what looks like a rabbit bone, and a larger bone, a scapula of some sort. YD & O/H thought it was from a sheep,smiley - sheep but I know what a sheep's scapula looks like and it isn't that. Maybe it's from a seal; they are often to be seen there.

Back to Maes Howe - another amazing place. In the gift shop I found mini-haggises on keyrings, and YD was delighted. We bought 2, one for her and one for ED; also some Viking axes and a horned helmet for my twin nephews. They only had one helmet so we'll have to look for another, maybe in York on our way home.

We're not allowed to take photos inside Maes Howe, unfortunately. smiley - sadface The guide showed us where the Vikings had broken into the tomb to take shelter, and then had turned it into a drinking hall. There's a lot of graffiti in runes on the walls. The Vikings had cleared all the burials out, so there's nothing left, but the graffiti are rare.

Back to the hotel to change for dinner, then off to Dounby again. The meal was good; YD & I are having as much seafood as possible, as we don't have it much at home; O/H doesn't like shellfish, though he enjoys fish,smiley - fish but has a habit of choking on bones.

It's our last full day in Orkney tomorrow, and the weather forecast is dire - there's a gale coming.smiley - sadface Let's hope it's blown over by the time we get the ferry, as O/H is not a very good sailor.smiley - ill

Key: Complain about this post

Tuesday 23rd August =^..^=

More Conversations for cookiepuss

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more