This is the Message Centre for woofti aka groovy gravy

Post 1

woofti aka groovy gravy

Not a lot done today. In fact, I slept during the afternoon. I think I am just generally winding down until I leave for SA, when I shall be busy again. I have most of my weekends taken up with visits of one kind or another.

Still, House Church was good - we only had four people turning up, and we discussed Jonah 1&2, but it felt that God was near and we were all able to share some quite personal stuff maybe in a way that wouldn't have been possible with a bigger group. Jonah always resonates with me big time - something about abandoning God and then coming back de profundis and being given a second chance.

I had to wear a jumper today. Cast ne'er a clout. Honestly, though, I hope I get some nice summery weather here before I hit the Big Damp of Stellenbosch in the winter! At least I won't be alone as I was the last time I spent the winter in Stellenbosch (1993). That was the year I was arrested for being drunk and disorderly and had to spend a night in the cells. I was on tranquillisers and had had a bottle of brandy before going out on the town. I paid a R30 "admission of guilt" fee (apparently - I don't remember doing it) and they let me go after giving me a breakfast of a cup of hot sweet coffee and a hunk of bread and jam. The worst thing about that experience was that I woke up at about 5am with a raging thirst, but there was no tap and no cup to assauge it from. So I had to keep flushing the toilet and drinking by hand from the toilet water as it flushed down. But, every time I flushed the toilet, the floor of the cell flooded. So I was stuck! There was a bit of dry floor I could sleep on but it was an extremely uncomfortable experience. smiley - drunksmiley - hangoversmiley - ill

I felt very bad as well, psychically, as you do when you can't remember how you got somewhere the night before, because of drink. I just barely remember being arrested and being put into the little yellow police van. My God, what a humiliation that was. I subsequently returned to the university, where I was sitting in on the first year Afrikaans courses, to hear a group of students referring to me as "daardie dronk Engelsman" - that drunken Englishman. I was so humiliated that I left the university, never to return. I had only done about half the year, too. I just hope I don't bump into anyone who remembers me from those days! (I also walked off with someone's literature notes - I hope they have forgiven me for that!)

Gosh, memories, eh? I felt so bad at that time. I decided then that I should make the effort to be a better Christian. And it has been a long uphill struggle ever since.

Post 2

newMissTee

Hello Richard! I've been having a leisurely read of your journal each day, but now feel "moved" to write a reply!

To begin with, I think you should try to cast from your mind/draw a line under/move on from ~ the incident which happened in 1993. I think it's well best forgotten, especially some little snippets of information such as your procurement of drinking water!!smiley - erm

I hope that your move to Stellenbosch will be a wonderful fresh beginning for you in every possible way.smiley - ok

Take care,
~~Misty~~ (wearing Auntie-type hat)

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for woofti aka groovy gravy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more