This is the Message Centre for woofti aka groovy gravy

Post 1

woofti aka groovy gravy

I took the earlier train to Mirfield - I prefer this; it means I am not rushed to get there on time. I can peruse books in the library while I'm waiting for the time of the lesson.

When I got out of the taxi I noticed that my bracelet - the one I had seen to yesterday - had fallen off. Damn! I was disappointed, I thought I had lost it. But then I thought, maybe it has fallen off in the house somewhere. So when I got back after Hebrew I looked and lo! there it was, on the floor next to the bin. Phew! I was so relieved. I have tightened up the link that holds it together.

Judith was on form again this week. I didn't know that she used to be GP before she decided to take holy orders. We discussed Phil's operation - apparently he was in a really bad way on Saturday and Judith thinks his recovery might take even longer than Phil has thought. Anyway it was a good lesson. I gave her Anglo-Norman's spoof on Genesis 22 and she laughed merrily and at length - she knew all about Helen's Mankwold and Coriander Bake. What fun it is to meet a fellow Archers listener in the real world. I tried to interest her in the yellow pages, but she wasn't up for it.

It was a fine and sunny day, though cloudy, and it rained in the afternoon. I was able to wear just my black jacket to Mirfield - last week I wore my mac. Heard from Liz at HorseData that my new rain hat (brown waxed cotton) is nearly ready and she will be sending it to me on Tuesday by first class post. When I leave for SA it will be the middle of winter in Stellenbosch, and the Boland winter is particularly unpleasant I remember, with rain and damp and darkness. So I will have to take a mac and rain hat with me, even though it will be summer when I leave here. Brrr.. I don't look forward to sitting on the Tube in a mac in the middle of summer. But it will be cold in S'bosch and I'll need the protection.

Misty emailed me asking for an explanation of Luke 16:1-8. I'm sorry to say that I don't understand this parable either. The books that I have, a couple of commentaries, don't give much insight. I suspect, however, the presence of irony. There is a bibliography in the Word commentary but I think my card for the University library has expired. This reminds me - I shall have to get some kind of introduction into the Stellenbosch university library. I have used it before - can't remember how I blagged my way in, but they did give me a visitor's card.

The parable has to do with someone who has been discharged from service to a master, but who is dealing with people who are still bound contractually to the former master. Christians are discharged from service to the prince of this world, but they have to deal with people who are still under obligation to him. I would have thought that Christians should let off these people scott-free, as they themselves have been let off scott-free (see Matthew 18:23-35). But there is clearly another dimension of action that this parable is addressing - it uses the word "shrewd" (phronimos) to describe the servant's actions. I think that maybe the Christian is enjoined to be wise in dealing with people who are obliged to "work" under the "law". Christians, as is, or should be, well known, are discharged from having to keep the law, the hidden law of the world of people. Or rather, we rely for our justification on Christ who kept the law for us. Justification is understandable with reference to the hidden voices I used to hear when I was ill - voices that would demand an accounting for why I was here, what my business was, and whether I was covered, or qualified, to transact my particular life-business in the hidden realms. It seems that life is a big market place, with obligations, payments and debts on all sides. And faithful, obedient Christians have a blank cheque with which to carry out lawful business in this market. So I believe that the parable is addressing the conduct of Christians who have access to Christ's riches, when they deal with people who are having to pay for "goods and services" from their own accounts. Further than that, I cannot go.

This is what Francesca says (with permission):

If anyone has any ideas about this parable, I would be interested to hear them. Funny how things change - 100 or even 50 years ago, the parable would be well known, with plentiful interpretations on offer, but today I feel like I'm into a minority interest with the interpretation of Jesus' parables.

Post 2

Hebe

Glad you found your bracelet - I know that sinking feeling when you suddenly realise something's missing (I have a good set of single earrings). And trying not to panic on the grounds it could be at home.

Not really able to comment on the parable - but will go and look it up as you've raised my interest,

hebe

Post 3

sue_green

Good grief! This sounds like a problem in the law of commercial agency. Seriously. I will have to read it and then check some of my law books.

Douglas

Post 4

newMissTee

Many thanks for your e-mail comments on this parable, and also for referring me to Francesca's explanation ~ which I shall print-off & keep for future reference.

I also tried reading Luke 16:1-8 from the Good News Bible to see whether it "shone any lights" ~ but I'm afraid I remain more confused than ever!smiley - sadface For example, verse 8 reads: "As a result the master of this dishonest manager praised him for doing such a shrewd thing; because the people of this world are much more shrewd in handling their affairs than the people who belong to the light".

Yes! I think that I shall have to accept the fact that there are some things which I'm not able to understand fully "at the present time".

I'm so glad that you found the bracelet, & that the lesson/discussion with Judith went so well. It sounds as though she'll make an extremely good vicar!

Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by the weather when you get to Stellenbosch ~ in the same way as we can be "unpleasantly" surprised by some of our UK summer weather! But I'm sure that once you're there it won't take long to re-acclimatise.smiley - smiley

Hope you have a good day today (Thursday). Cheers, ~Misty~smiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for woofti aka groovy gravy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more