This is the Message Centre for martine_s

FWT:"craignos"

Post 1

martine_s

Slang/youth-speak, meaning: dirty, unbearable.

A variation on "Ça craint" (literal ungrammatical meaning, "this dreads")

Example:
- T'as vu son nouvel appart?
- Oui, le quartier est plutôt craignos, non?

"Have you been to her new flat?"
"Yes, the neighbourhood is a bit iffy, isn't it."

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

wonderful, Martine! I have to say I really enjoy your occasional series, and I think that in a year or so you ought to collect all the entries for possible publication. No, I mean it - they're that good. smiley - oksmiley - cakesmiley - hugsmiley - cheerup

dagesh xx

Post 3

annie_cambridge

Ooh! This is a new one for me, and it sounds useful. Unless it is truly youthspeak and not used by the over-50s?

Could you give some guidance on pronunciation, please?
[krenyo] or [krenyos]
I've tried to import phonemic symbols on here, but it doesn't work! smiley - smiley

Post 4

martine_s

Thanks dagesh you're too kind.

You yourself could have a potential best-seller in the Peter Mayle format: A year in Stellenbosch...

And do go and see the pastor. If anyone knows useful openings, it will be he.

Why not set up a blog?

Post 5

martine_s

It's the "gn" sound of campagne or mignon, no /i/.

I use it with the intimate circle, between inverted commas as it were, obviously not with my students as I have my poise and dignity to think of. So perfectly safe for fifty-somethings. But not with perfect strangers.

Post 6

annie_cambridge

Thanks for that martine. But my question was really about the final sound - is the final 's' pronounced, or silent (as in 'dos')?

Post 7

martine_s

Sorry, it's pronounced, as in Calvados...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for martine_s

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more