This is the Message Centre for martine_s

FWT:" Mais que fait la police?"

Post 1

martine_s

Literal meaning: what are the police doing?

Real meaning: it is a shame, the police are not doing enough.

Used today ironically to describe the knee-jerk response of blaming the police for not catching criminals.

Example:
- On m'a piqué trois salades dans le jardin.
- Mais que fait la police?

"I had three salads nicked in my allowment."
"Really, the police these days."

Post 2

woofti aka groovy gravy

Hi there Martine from a presently sunny South Africa.

I am far from my dictionaries and works of reference but wouldn't "salades" be translated as "lettuces"? Also I think what you meant is allotment, but I expect that was a typo.

Sorry if I've got it wrong.

cheers
dagesh xxx

Post 3

martine_s

Correct on both points dagesh... Post in haste, repent at leisure. i'll try to correct it.

Sunny France too. Great decorating job going I see. World of Interiors soon?

Post 4

woofti aka groovy gravy

isn't it marvellous how we can have such a real time conversation, with you in Paris and me in Stellenbosch! I never cease to wonder at the magic of the internet. Even in my lifetime this facility of communication was undreamed of. I think I must be of an age where I am constantly amazed by how wonderful the internet is.

The flat has been painted lots of interesting colours. I am now waiting for my stuff to arrive from the UK. I daren't buy many more "things" for the flat because the things that are coming will be more than sufficient for it... I shall have to give some things away, I think.

But I have a fridge and that is sufficient for my needs at present.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for martine_s

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more