A Conversation for John Updike - a Character Study

Peer Review : A80779512 - John Updike - a Character Study

Post 1

J

Entry: John Updike - a Character Study - A80779512
Author: Jordan - U201497

I couldn't let h2g2 as I've known it go without a short entry on the man who is probably my favorite writer. "Rabbit at Rest" is, I think, my favorite novel.

As I found that I've already written over 800 Microsoft Word pages in the Edited Guide (F113808?thread=8033828) I thought it would be best to keep this one short. Also, I don't know if I have time for one of my exhaustive, conventional biographies.

And go easy - this is my first PR offering in about a year and a half. smiley - smiley

A80779512 - John Updike - a Character Study

Post 2

AlexAshman

Don't apologise either for writing a lot or keeping this brief! You've been concise and critical without being derogatory, which makes it very readable.

Some suggestions:

smiley - mod "Having once been famously been described" - too many beens

smiley - mod
the sex life, death, self-absorption and the simple, small town existence
-->
the sex life, death, self-absorption and simple, small town existence

smiley - mod "The Pennsylvania of his birth especially influence the environments" - influences or influenced?

smiley - mod
The life of Angstrom, a former high school basketball star, and known by his nickname ‘Rabbit’, is chronicled in the Rabbit book series
-->
The life of Angstrom, a former high school basketball star known by his nickname ‘Rabbit’, is chronicled in the Rabbit book series

smiley - mod
with both character and author nearing a half-century in age.
-->
with both character and author nearing their half-century.

smiley - mod
to entertain, amuse and arouse, today.
-->
to entertain, amuse and arouse to this day.

Alex smiley - smiley

Post 3

J

Thanks Alex. I agree with all of your suggestions, and have accordingly changed the entry. And lesson learned - if you proofread an entry at 2 in the morning, it doesn't matter how concise you are, there are going to be problems. smiley - smiley

Post 4

AlexAshman

smiley - laugh Not to worry, that's what pedants are for.

Post 5

h5ringer

Echoing what Tufty has already said, this is a worthwhile entry smiley - ok

I have just a couple of observations:

smiley - mod <>
This sentence (at the end of the second paragraph) can be removed as the content is restated in the following paragraph.

smiley - mod <>
pages after pages --> page after page

Good effort smiley - ale

h5ringer - Scout

Post 6

J

Edited smiley - smiley

Post 7

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - book

Lanzababy smiley - zen

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

This is a good entry, Jodan.

I&#39;ve only two comments to make.

This section is rather clumsy, in my opinion:

"Updike was a middle class, white Anglo-Saxon Protestant male, and so most of his central characters are as well. An example of Updike’s autobiographical tendencies can be seen in his best known character, Harry Angstrom. The life of Angstrom, a former high school basketball star known by his nickname ‘Rabbit’, is chronicled in the Rabbit book series. Angstrom first appeared in print in the 1960 novel Rabbit, Run, as a 26-year-old middle class, Protestant male; when the book was published, Updike himself was a 28-year-old middle class, Protestant male."

The repetition of "middle-class Protestant male" three times in four sentences is jarring.

You shouldn&#39;t quote an entire poem at the end of the Entry, as this is a breach of copyright. About four lines is normally acceptable.

Post 9

Paolo

It&#39;s a really good entry.

Updike is one of my favourite authors too and I think you captured a large part of his appeal to the reader. It also made me want to go back and read the Rabbit series again which is probably the highest praise I can offer.

Post 10

J

Yes, Gnomon, that repetition is in fact intentional. Jarring can be good.

Thanks Paul smiley - smiley

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

I disagree. It makes an otherwise well-written entry seem poorly written at that point.

Post 12

J

Your disagreement is just something that I will have to live with. smiley - smiley

Post 13

The H2G2 Editors

Hello guys. Can we just check where we're up to on this one - and remind everyone to keep their comments civil. This is a great Entry. It's only really lacking subheaders and links, that can be added during subbing of course. Jordan - is that something you'd like to tackle.

Our only suggestion at this point is to add something to the first couple of paragraphs that explains what the Entry is looking at, something about seeing how Updike's own character and concerns are reflected in his creations, and vice versa. We only say that because the title is quite ambigious. Is it about Updike's characters or the man himeself? (When it seems it is actually about both.) No need to change the title, as it quite cleverly sums that up, but a bit of clarification would help readers to get a handle earlier on what it's about.

But it's a great read. It would be nice to see this accepted for Approval and on its way. smiley - ok

Post 14

J

To be honest, I forgot this was in here... smiley - erm

I don't think subheaders are necessary, but I'll add links.

I'm not sure about your suggestion about introducing the entry's intention earlier... I'll see if I can add a little something at the beginning without disrupting it, but if I can't find a way to do that, I won't.

Thanks for the suggestions. smiley - smiley

Post 15

The H2G2 Editors

Hi Jordan. Okay great. We'll wait to see what you come up with. Cheers smiley - ok

Post 16

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Nudge nudge

Post 17

J

Yeah, I'm happy with it. I also think that the opening is fine. If the Eds think that it's unacceptable as is, I'm happy to remove it smiley - ok

Post 18

Zelmo Zale

We'll accept this as it stands, and take a look while it's going through editing. Well done smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

thank you Eds! smiley - choc I am glad to see this selected!

smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for John Updike - a Character Study

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more