This is the Message Centre for Deep Doo Doo

DDD's NaJoPoMo - Only In Cyprus #15

Post 1

Deep Doo Doo

While I've previously described the treatment of animals in Cyprus as deplorable, I'm also deeply ashamed to admit that a similar attitude prevails toward certain ethnic minorities. Cyprus has had a long and troubled history - a history that documents frequent invasion and repression of its people. Of any race, you'd trust the Cypriot people to have an understanding of just how it feels to be the underdog but, regrettably, it appears that this is not the case.

Cyprus has very strict immigration laws. There's totally unfettered movement for its own people and almost free movement for Europeans who are simply subjected to a few registration procedures. It's a different matter entirely for 'third-country' nationals. Unless you are able to demonstrate a very legitimate reason for residing in the country, legally you'll never get in. Surprisingly then, with a population of 800,000 Cyprus is home to more than 20,000 Filipinos. In other words, 2.5% of the population are legal, third-country nationals, exclusively from the Philippines. Why are they here?

If you've been following my journals you'll by now understand that I'm not one to beat about the bush, so I'll say it as I see it. They are here as slaves.

Housemaids (or to use the recently-adjusted term) house workers are 'sponsored' almost exclusively by Cypriot families. Again, the rules are strict; You must be able to demonstrate a need that cannot be satisfied by the local market, lodge a bond with the authorities upon application and provide appropriate living standards, working hours, wages and reasonable time-off. Unfortunately, application of the rules is less than rigorous so let's look at the criteria again.

Need. Working full-time with one or more children? Need demonstrated.
Bond. Enough to cover deportation to home country, circa €750.
Living standards. Converted shipping container.
Working Hours. 5.00am to 12.00am
Wages. €311 per month
Time-off. Sunday 10.00am - 4.00pm

The 'slaves' arrive via legitimate agencies who are paid a finders-fee by the sponsor. The sponsor will also pay for the inbound flight and the immigration administration fees. When documentation is complete, the employee is granted a five-year visa under the condition that they remain with the same employer and depart the country when the visa expires.

To protect their investment, sponsors will (illegally) retain the employees passport and visa. They also expect 'bang for their buck' so the working day begins when the children wake and finishes when the parents have been sated by an evening meal and had their comforts provided until retirement time. In between exacting housework requirements and standards of cleanliness, employees are often expected to provide household duties to neighbours and friends of the sponsor. For the unlucky ones, there are also sexual advances to be accommodated.

And all this is done to earn a pittance. A pittance that is further eroded by money transfer companies who take an unacceptably large chunk to send the money 'home'. All this is suffered by some of the quietest, unassuming people that you could ever wish to meet. All this to make their families lives, back home, just a little more bearable.

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

Unfortunately, it is handled in an even worse manner here: the poor girls from Asia or the eastern states (Poland, Russia...) are smuggled in and ONLY to be abused as sex slaves for the sex industry. They have no papers, no money, no nothing because nobody knows they're even here.

Post 3

Researcher 14993127

Sheesh, err, are you going to tell us some good stuff about Cyprus before this challenge ends? smiley - spacesmiley - tongueincheek

smiley - cat

Post 4

Deep Doo Doo

Bel, I'm going to cover that aspect tomorrow; another dark side to Cyprus.

And yes, BMT, I will. When I started the challenge I didn't have a clue what I was doing, as can be seen in the first few journals. Now I've got into it, there's a bit of a strategy:

Begin light-hearted
Cover more serious aspects
Move on to interesting, but quirky subjects
End with a bang!

I'm not sure if my plan is working, but I'm enjoying the challenge and I do like to represent Cyprus warts and all whoever I meet.

After all, there's no such thing as a 'perfect' country.

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

I think you're doing fine with this challenge. I have added you to my friends list, just so I won't miss your journals. If you'd rather not be there, I can remove you once the month is over. smiley - smiley

Post 6

Deep Doo Doo

That's just fine Bel - I could do with some friends! smiley - laugh

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

Great. smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Ivan the Terribly Average

DDD, I'm planning on reading your Cyprus series in one sitting in early December. smiley - geek I think there will be quite an interesting picture of the place in your journal by the end of this month.

smiley - redwineIvan.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Doo Doo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more