This is the Message Centre for Deep Doo Doo

DDD's NaJoPoMo - Only In Cyprus #14

Post 1

Deep Doo Doo

Almost on a daily basis, when I browse ex-pat websites relating to Cyprus, I'll come across a story of animal cruelty. To put it bluntly, it's a scandal that animals of all kinds can be treated so abysmally, yet so little is done to prevent it from happening.

Many commentators will state (incorrectly) it's because the Greek Orthodox Church teaches that 'animals have no soul'. In fact, the Church celebrates Saint Modestos - the Patron Saint and guardian of animals - so why does the cruelty persist?

Before I go further, I perhaps should illustrate my personal position. I have pets but I don't consider myself an animal lover. I don't involve myself in animal welfare work or contribute to any animal charities. I do believe, though, that every animal has the right to life free from persecution and mistreatment by humans.

Let's take a look at the scale of the problem, starting at the top with the biggest offenders - domesticated creatures. The stray population of cats and dogs has reached almost epidemic proportions. Left unchecked, the situation can only deteriorate. There are a handful of charities that undertake capture, welfare, neuter and release programs but they receive no government funding and rely entirely upon donations and charitable giving. While the work they do is admirable, the reality is that their efforts are unsustainable - the population grows faster than the programs can address. This is where the local method of population control rears its ugly head; poisoning. I'm not for one moment suggesting that the poisoning is carried out by the authorities, for it is undoubtedly individuals who take this callous action, but vast numbers of animals suffer prolonged, agonising deaths after eating meat deliberately laced with substances such as Lanate. The sale of Lanate has now been banned, but locals and farmers alike still hold significant stockpiles suggesting that it may be some years before the supply diminishes. There's also the strong possibility that the poison of choice will be substituted by an alternative when it is no longer available.

Hunters, who I alluded to in earlier journals, also face my ire. Not only are they responsible for the deaths of thousands of animals every year courtesy of their shotguns, but their treatment of associated 'sports equipment' (namely hunting dogs) I have particular despite for. Throughout the year, supposedly in preparation for hunting season, the dogs are caged in tiny compounds, half-starved and unexercised. When the season begins, the dogs are let loose. Those that don't (or physically can't) perform are the first victims of the shoot and are left to lie rotting in the open fields.

Hunters also, but this time of a different kind, cause unnecessary suffering to birdlife. Every year over 2 million birds from 120 different species (many endangered) are captured by the illegal use of mist nets and lime sticks. There's an almost insatiable demand for many of the species which are subsequently served as delicacies, but the capturing methods are indiscriminate. Turtle doves, common kestrels and long-eared owls all fall prey. As does the common chameleon - a truly beautiful creature.

Regrettably, I'm able to recount incident after incident regarding animal suffering. I should, of course mention the road kill statistics alongside the dogs, sheep and goats that are dumped, deliberately, in municipal waste-sites and mutilated by mechanical diggers. Then there's the unwanted pets thrown from vehicles travelling at speed onto the public highway via the cars' windows. If the poor creatures manage to survive the impact, their fate is surely sealed by the next passing truck.

It's a hard life being an animal in Cyprus because the laws of nature are somewhat skewed. Survival of the fittest doesn't always come in to play - it's the other 'animals' that you need to watch out for.

Post 2

Researcher 14993127

I think you've just succeeded in putting me off ever thinking of going to live in Cyprus. smiley - erm
Can't abide cruelty to animals in any shape or form.

smiley - cat

Post 3

Deep Doo Doo

Nor me.

We've been here just over five years. In that time we've adopted four feral kittens and stood by them all the way. Vets, worming, neutering, chipping, front-lining and cosy blankets in the winter.

Average life-expectancy? Approx 18 months.

They do well until the Lanate comes out in late February; mild winters provide more offspring. More to be rid of.

Squirrel, the current one, is doing nicely at 17 months. I really do not wish to report his demise in March like I've had to do for Gravy, Hotpoint and Horatio.

I can't express my contempt for the idiots who do this.

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

It's ghastly. Shame there are no laws (and nobody to enforce them) to protect the animals. smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Doo Doo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more