This is the Message Centre for Deep Doo Doo

DDD's NaJoPoMo - Only In Cyprus #13

Post 1

Deep Doo Doo

You'd expect a modern country such as Cyprus, being a full member of the EU and boasting an impressive HDI, to be led by forward-thinking and progressive attitudes.

Now, I can tell that you're already wondering what my reference to HDI is and in an attempt to prevent you, dear reader, from rushing off to Google the term, I've done the work on your behalf. HDI stands for Human Development Index and it's a measure of a number of factors that define just how well (or how badly) people like you and me fare in any particular country. Cyprus is right up there - 31st in the world - so we can certainly show a few nations a thing or two about leading the good life. The UK, as a comparison, only just pip us at number 28 followed by Greece and the United Arab Emirates. Clearly, we are a well-developed world player.

It's a puzzler, then, why so many attitudes and beliefs are regressive in Cyprus especially when we score so highly for education on the HDI.

Over the next few days, via my journals, I'm going to explore some of the darker sides to the oft-presented idyllic Cyprus lifestyle. Subjects will include modern-day slavery, human-trafficking and animal cruelty. Shamefully, among the general population, each of these issues are well-known but they are matters rarely discussed or aired.

However, before I delve into issues more serious and because it's a Sunday evening, let's keep things light and airy. Besides which, my tea is nearly ready and I'm not prepared to let important affairs affect my degustation.

As a nod to Icy North (U225620) who is running a daily quiz for NaJoPoMo, I've come up with my own little six-question teaser based upon Cyprus. Without Googling, see how many you can answer.

C: Cyprus. From which chemical element does this country's name derive?
Y: Yes. What's the Greek word for 'yes'.
P: Presidential Palace. In which Cyprus city is the presidential palace located?
R: Railways. How many railway routes are there in the country?
U: United Nations. The UN has a long running peacekeeping mission in Cyprus. In which decade did it begin?
S: Sunshine. To the nearest 10, how many days of sunshine do we have, on average, a year in Cyprus?

Post 2

Researcher 14993127

Without googling I only know 2 of these.

UN first in Cyprus in the 60's

Yes in Greek is Nai, apparently pronounced 'nay'

I only know about the nay from the fact my oldest brother spent years going to cyprus and has friends there that let him have an apartment when he's there. smiley - biggrin

I'm not going to cheat and google the rest. smiley - smiley

smiley - cat

Post 3

Deep Doo Doo

You are correct with both of your answers BMT. smiley - applause

You are also perfectly correct with your pronunciation of Nai.

Kudos for not Googling. smiley - smiley

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I am going to guess about railways, none?

There are none here either, you see.

Post 5

Deep Doo Doo

You are correct LB smiley - applause

There was a line that ran until 1951. Sadly, no more.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Doo Doo

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more