This is the Message Centre for Good_News

Blimey!

Post 1

Kiteman

Somebody just pointed me at your "Walking away..." thread.

Bravo.

Blimey!

Post 2

Good_News

I just remembered this place existed! Been a bit absent-minded recently and too busy and just plain forget about h2g2. So despite being very late, thank you very much.

Blimey!

Post 3

Kiteman

You're welcome (I can barely remember it now). Are you coming back on S&N? There's much fun - Solarmann is upset because I keep catching him lying, James42 is tying himself in knots over his prophecies of doom and creationism (no offense - his version is unique; 49,000 year old planet with 6000 years of humanity).

Blimey!

Post 4

Good_News

I suppose I might I wonder over. Religious boards are dreadfully boring now. Ain't many fundamentalists left to keep it interesting, too many constant, simplistic attacks on the Catholic Church and hyper-fascist moderation.

I've never heard of that form of creationism! I've heard of the gap theory and day-age theory but both accept the earth is billions of years old. Where did the 49, 000 years come from?

Blimey!

Post 5

Kiteman

I have half a memory of reading that some people think a "Genesis day" was actually 7000 years. That makes the Creation story 49000 years long. If you peg "now" as the end of the 7th day, that means humans were created "yesterday" - around 7000 years ago...

...I've just had a thought - James is winding up to more claims about the End Times - could he be thinking that the whole of Creation lasts for only the length of the Creation story? As soon as the 7th day is up, Armageddon starts. Does that make sense?

Blimey!

Post 6

Good_News

It makes sense but Biblically it is nonsense. Is he a moonie or something because that 7000 year day is found nowhere in the bible (the only thing you could argue is that the days are a thousand years because it says somewhere that a day to the lord is as 1000 years) and you could only get that idea if somebody told you it (cult leader?).

As for the end of the world, most evangelicals thing that will happen soon. American foreign policy in the middle east seems to be driven by the goal of bringing about Armaggedon which is quite scary for everybody else.

Blimey!

Post 7

Kiteman

He's a JW, but an odd one.

Blimey!

Post 8

Kiteman

Are your ears burning? http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbsn/F2564204?thread=1050348&skip=0&show=20#p34002095

Blimey!

Post 9

Good_News

Actually yes they are. I very rarely come on the internet anymore. Got far too much to do. I did read one of Dawkin's books-Devil's Chaplain. It was interesting but I get put off by his atheistic zeal.

I'm ready for to eat a large dosage of humble pie this Sunday though. I'm going to pay a visit back to my old Church of Scotland church-the one I left a few years ago after accusing it of being infected with liberalism and declaring the minister to be a borderline-heretic. Should be interesting. The Church of Scotland is Presbyterian and traditionally Calvinist. I don't like that but liberals are changing it rapidly. Anyway, as much as I love my Baptist Church and the people there, we are getting a new Pastor who pastored in the Bible-belt for many years. I get the feeling the sermons are going to be getting more right-wing and fundamentalist than before. But I won't leave without explaning exactly why.

And I'm most annoyed. I was due to go and see the ex-bishop of Edinburgh, Richard Holloway speak at the Edinburgh book festival. Don't know if you have heard of him but he was one of the most vocal liberals in Anglican Church, defending gay rights, critical religious thought and especially controversially, cannabis use. No wonder his talk is fully booked...

Blimey!

Post 10

Kiteman

Ouch, rather you than me. Good luck, and stay calm.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Good_News

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more