This is the Message Centre for frontiersman

Hello

Post 1

Flame

Congratulations! I see you have become a volunteer for the UG. I think you are a perfect candidate to undertake this role. smiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

Good luck,

Flame smiley - magic

Hello

Post 2

frontiersman

Why, thank you Flameisgold, for both the vote of confidence (which might be misplaced) and the Champers...2 glasses!?

We shall have to see how the whole thing goes!

Ron

f.smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - chocsmiley - cake

Hello

Post 3

Flame

I have complete confidence in you. smiley - smiley You have a great eye for the fine details, and critiquing seems to come very naturally to you.

It can be quite scary for some writers to put their work out there, especially new writers. I feel you will be able to help and encourage them to improve upon their work.

Coming to this site has certainly helped my own writing, and given me more confidence. That's all down to people like yourself.....

Flame smiley - magic

Hello

Post 4

frontiersman

Aww! What can I say? You leave me devoid of words, Flame!

You are really too kind!

Ronsmiley - blushsmiley - blushsmiley - bubblysmiley - choc

Hello

Post 5

Flame

Hello Ron, smiley - smiley

I'm glad you enjoyed your trips to Norfolk, it really is a lovely area. From the sounds of it you haven't visited for a long time, but I'm pleased to say you'd probably find it hadn't changed too much over the years. I especially love the north norfolk coast, places such as Wells, Blakeney and Cley. Always good to come home from a day out at the coast with a fresh crab for supper. I haven't ever seen the poster you mentioned but I think from the stories I've heard, the Americans did find their share of Norfolk beauties. smiley - laugh

I'm currently working on a new story, well I say working, but at the moment I'm just thinking about it, and jotting down a few thoughts. Sometimes I seem to spend as much time thinking about my stories as I do writing them up. It's about a life a bit further away than Norfolk, so I really will need to use my imagination.

I'm going to put back the ending to a story I wrote last year for a competition. (The author wrote the bulk of the story and you had to finish it in 1200 words or less). My story didn't get anywhere, yet I put a lot into it, and I still really like it. Although I have the habit to going back to my stories and adding to or amending them, this is one story where I wouldn't change a word.

How are you liking it as a volunteer? It must be quite good fun.

Flame smiley - magic

Hello

Post 6

frontiersman

Well Flame, I haven't really settled into the role yet. It's a strange place, the Ug you know! Another world! I am a little perplexed by it all at the moment, there seems so much to it in one way, and so little in another; very odd!
There are some interesting, if wild, characters around the patch; no names, no pack drill!
But I do enjoy their 'company'; maybe, in truth, I'm one of those wild characters and don't even realize it, or recognise it in myself.

Keep writing. It's good to visit your old manuscripts again and revise them for today's audiences. I've always written throughout my long life, but never bothered to try to publish. Strange really, with a daughter- in -law whose father is a well known London publisher in the city. But I do look back at my work, sometimes with disappointment at its lack of maturity, and at other times with pleasant surprise at the depth of my thoughts at those times.
There's nothing as satisfying as written communication of ideas and stories as a hobby or a profession. I would have liked to have been a composer though, as well as a writer of sorts. My other passion (apart from my wife and family, that is)is classical music. All of it, really, with special favourite composers. All of it that is, except this atonal asymmetrical modern 'stuff' like Mcmillan! Shapeless, meaningless no melody, no harmony, no rhythm...nothing. All the people who listen to it are not only kidding everyone else that they 'love' and understand it; they are also kidding themselves. The 'Emperors New Clothes' phenomenon all over again.
Sorry, I have some strong views on modern 'music'. Shouldn't force them on others though.
See you around. Will read you regularly.

Ron

f.smiley - ermsmiley - biggrin

Hello

Post 7

Flame

I've only been writing for just over a year, so many things I still need to learn. I'm hoping to join a 'real life' creative course in September, hopefully I'll gain something from it.

I'm sure you'll settle into the role. You are ideal for it. smiley - smiley The whole site can seem a bit confusing at times. I remember when I first joined, I didn't have a clue what I was doing, not sure I'm up to speed even now. There certainly are some interesting characters around here, and they all bring something to the site.

I'm going to post by 'endofstory' entry in a bit. Do you have any short stories of your own to put on the site? I'd love to read something.

By the way, I also love classical music, especially Andrea Bocelli and Josh Groban. I just bought a great CD called Romancing the Violin by Joshua Bell. Believe me, my violin never sounded like that. smiley - laugh

Flame smiley - magic

Hello

Post 8

Flame

Do you fancy reading my Christmas story?

Hello

Post 9

frontiersman

Why not? I'm sure it's as good as the others!

'Wheel it in', as they used to say, and let's take a butchers!

Ronsmiley - biggrin

Hello

Post 10

Flame

I've entered it for you to read.

Flame smiley - magic

Hello

Post 11

frontiersman

Ok I've got it. Going to read it right now... Byeeesmiley - run

Hello

Post 12

frontiersman

A very nice story Flame.

Something to which we can all relate. It has parallels with that other Christmas story. One doesn't have to believe in the birth, Holy sacrifice and resurrection of Christ unless one wants to, or feels he/she must, or actually needs to in order to remain sane. Also the belief in God; the same for most adults, I feel. We believe in God, some of us, because we would rather he existed than not. We fear the utter void.

Only one correction: those words can be compounded: 'downright'.

But a word perfect story, told with your natural gift for beautifully flowing prose.

Ron
smiley - smiley

Hello

Post 13

Flame

I really enjoyed writing that story. Glad you liked it.

Hello

Post 14

frontiersman

Keep 'em coming Flame!

I'm going nowhere!

Ronsmiley - smiley

Hello

Post 15

Flame

I may have to take some time out to start writing some new stories. smiley - laugh

Hello

Post 16

frontiersman

Well, don't stay away too long. One has to keep in touch with h2g2 you know. I write a bit off line too, when I'm in the mood, but I keep signing in. That's 'cos I'm a nosey devil though!
And I have work to do on here, they tell me!

Ron

f.

smiley - laughsmiley - bubblysmiley - cakesmiley - choc

Hello

Post 17

Flame

Any short stories you might post in the future?

Hello

Post 18

frontiersman

Well Flame, I do write 'stories' of sorts, as you might say, but they are of a different genre from your beautiful and entertaining works. They might not appeal to your taste, so you could be disappointed in what I produce and post.

This evening I have attempted to complete my Entry on the Power of Attorney, at the behest of Mikey.

This, and my Entry on the Gastrectomy may give you a perspective on my mental functioning, so to speak. A rather serious guy I'm afraid, but I do appreciate the fine writing of our fellow researchers and professional authors on the site. I can't hope to compete with the likes of them!

My stories are almost always autobiographical, or so based.

Ron. smiley - smiley

Hello

Post 19

Flame

I’ve just read your latest entry, living with a gastrectomy. It’s a very good piece of work, well written, clear and informative. It’s good to write about any subject we are familiar with, and who would know better about this condition than a person who has undergone the treatment? I’m sure it will be a useful source of information to anybody who needs this surgery, and should help quell any fears. Your positive attitude does come across in your work, and you can more than hold your own with any other authors on this site.

I’ve only ever written two entries for the PR. The standards there are very high, so well done to getting your work featured in that particular forum. smiley - bubbly

Flame smiley - magic

Hello

Post 20

frontiersman

Thank you Flame.

You say my 'latest Entry!' You are so kind. In fact, it's my only Entry to get picked for editing, and is undergoing that process as we speak...so to speak!

You see, my problem has always been a weakness at plotting when it comes to writing fiction. I can write imaginatively, yes, but my stories tend to have a shallow and somewhat flat storyline. I'm quite good at descriptive writing, but it ends up being all description and no real 'sink your teeth into' substance in terms of plot. My characters tend to be the wooden stereotype: A James Bond write-a-like; or a Nutty Professor geezer! And my women are all bombshells, some with brains even! Quite unreal...I'm not saying bombshells that have brains are unreal, heaven forbid!

Still, we can't win 'em all, can we! I sometimes wonder whether we can win any of 'em, but there you go!

I enjoy reviewing, because I have a tiny spark of talent in that role. So be it!

Ronsmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for frontiersman

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more