This is the Message Centre for $u$

We came, we saw, we drank a LOT of cocktails...

Post 1

$u$

smiley - pggbsmiley - pggbsmiley - pggb to start the evening, a pint or two of Don't Panic... fabulous company, old friends, new friends, inflatable animals...

Special thanks to J'au-æmne Princess of Darkness and me[Andy]g for helping our team reach the unenviable score of 1 (or 2, by our calculations) in the quiz, making us the Losers. The prize was well worth our inability to answer any questions though. smiley - towelsmiley - book

And of course, it wouldn't be an h2g2 meet without all the smiley - hug and smiley - kiss from old friends, new friends, and complete strangers who wondered what we were doing there. smiley - laughsmiley - blushsmiley - biggrin

smiley - pony

Post 2

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

I wish I'd gone to a meet back in the day. But I always thought 15 year old me wandering around might be an issue. It always seemed fun and now I really miss the old crowd smiley - sadface

I've not really seen many people from the old days, which makes me sad smiley - sadface Wonder how easy it would be to bring the band back together? Perhaps a guide entry is in order.

Glad you had fun smiley - smiley

Post 3

$u$

You really should go along to a meet. The Scottish researchers are a very friendly bunch, or if you think you could manage a trip to Manchester, I suspect we will be meeting again in the not too distant future. Everyone is always very friendly and it doesn't matter who you do or don't know. smiley - smiley

Who did you know in the 'old days'? h2g2 has always tried to include a daytime meet so younger members could come along too. This time they went to the museum of science and industry. I missed that bit but the cocktails in the evening were very nice. smiley - pggb

Post 4

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Aye, I might one day, though in hindsight going when I was here those many moons ago might have been nice, since I'd known those researchers for year and had been talking to them practically every day by the time I left.

In the old days, I was very good friends with Uncle Heavy, Clelba and Crazy Man, we all joined around about the same time and they were some of the first researchers I talked too and certainly some of the first I became good friends with. (I kept in touch with them for a while after I left h2g2 and still stay friends via facebook.)

Other people I considered good friends on here were Sergeant Mushroom, Rocket Man, Existential Elevator, Galaxy Babe, Happy Dude Pinwheel Pearl, Number Six, Aurora...

I could name more, there were so many people I loved talking too and I know Happy Dude and GB are still around, the rest I've noticed pop up on the who's online list, and I've left messages on some of their pages, but no one's been in touch yet.

I'd be lucky if they remembered me anyway! smiley - winkeye

I'll leave messages for them one by one and we'll see if anyone's come back with the move. You and I did, so perhaps some of my old friends might be persuaded too smiley - smiley

Post 5

Oh and I know they were always good about younger members, and I was always being persuaded to go, but I live in a relatively remote area and the meets were always in the city, so at my previous age it was quite a daunting experience to travel all that way to be in a room of friends who are actually strangers.

Plus most of my h2g2 friends were English, so were going to the meets down south...sods law.

Post 6

$u$

I remember UH was at a meet in Edinburgh, during the festival. Clelba rings a bell too, and of course GB and Happy Dude are around and were at the meet last weekend (although GB had gone by the time I got there). Still, there's time for the others to come back, and of course, to meet new people. smiley - biggrin

Post 7

Indeed.

I'm still finding my feet on here, I'm trying not to spend too much time on here so that I don't get completely obsessed again! It could be too easy! (I'm considering writing an entry though, which might be nice seeing I haven't in years. Hopefully my writing's improved!)

Maybe one day I'll come to a meet and finally meet people in person. smiley - smiley

Post 8

Event Horizon

Oooh yay I half-remembered/half-hacked my loging...

Although I don't know much about this place really, what I learned quickly and has remained constant throuhout my time here, and not here, then back again is this:

If you pour it, they will come...

smiley - alesmiley - pggbsmiley - alesmiley - redwinesmiley - alesmiley - bubblysmiley - alesmiley - cidersmiley - alesmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - alesmiley - stoutsmiley - alesmiley - drunk

I am sure that 2nd one in there is a gargleblaster...

Post 9

Event Horizon

except of it's my login not loging... smiley - silly

Post 10

$u$

Logging? I thought you'd started your new career as a lumberjack. smiley - winkeye

smiley - pggbsmiley - pggbsmiley - pggb all round then.

Post 11

fords - number 1 all over heaven

"The Scottish researchers are a very friendly bunch".

No we're not; we're a horrible lot smiley - tongueout

Post 12

smiley - laugh I'll bear that in mind if I ever head to meets close to home smiley - winkeye

Post 13

smiley - evilgrin

Post 14

Will smiley - ale & smiley - stiffdrink make them any nicer? :-p

Post 15

smiley - stiffdrink! My favourite emote smiley - biggrin

Post 16

smiley - laugh the way to get to a Scot's heart!

Post 17

Slange smiley - biggrin

Post 18

Slangevar smiley - biggrin

Post 19

$u$

Show fords a couple of smiley - stiffdrinksmiley - pggb and she's anybodys (in the nicest possible way, of course). smiley - winkeye

I still haven't forgotten the first time we met... smiley - roflsmiley - evilgrin

Post 20

Neither have I. I've only ever drunk vodka and Red Bull once after that meet and guess what happened...smiley - ill

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for $u$

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more