This is the Message Centre for Jimi X

The Guide and Me...

Post 1

Jimi X

It's hard to believe I've been active on this site for more than 8 years now...

The reason that I first came to h2g2 still brings me back - I want to learn things and the Edited Guide still provides me bits and pieces of education about the wide world around me.

As my way of paying back to the Guide, I've written, edited and contributed to a fair share of entries. But in the last few years I've written less.

Why?

I suppose the primary reason is that I'm writing so much in my real-life job that it's been difficult to sit down at the computer at night and feel inspired to do more writing.

Plus as the webmaster for my work's Web site, I've lost some of the thrill of being published on the world wide web. It may be hard to believe, but back in 1999 it was exciting to know that people in Australia could see my writing and respond to it in real-time (as an ex-newspaper guy, folks couldn't read my work outside my own county).

Another reason would be that my children are much older now (my little one isn't quite so little anymore), and I find myself running after them a lot more than when they were preschoolers.

But do I still love h2g2?

Yes. I think Douglas had a brilliant vision for the site. And while wikipedia might have co-opted some of that vision I still feel we're the better product.

So after all the hue and cry about the site's declining standards, I've decided to recommit myself to the Edited Guide. I'm not going to write another hundred entries in the next week, but I am going to contribute my fair share.

I reckon I owe that much to the site and to Douglas for providing me so much entertainment over the years.

The Guide and Me...

Post 2

Websailor

What a joy to find someone with a good word to say for this site. it has a lot going for it, so much, I don't get time to explore as much as I would like. I do find that if I want to know something there is usual some info. on h2g2 which can't be bad.

smiley - applause for your long commitment.

Websailor smiley - dragon

The Guide and Me...

Post 3

J

Well said, Jimi.

The Guide and Me...

Post 4

Peta

It's been wonderful having you here all this time Jimi. smiley - hug

The Guide and Me...

Post 5

Jimi X

smiley - musicalnoteTis the season to articulate our feelings about h2g2
Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la, la, la...smiley - musicalnote

Or something like that. smiley - winkeye

It *has* been a long time, but I still think we've got a great product.

I only wish Douglas were still around to push us forward (or at least sideways) with some off-the-wall ideas...

The Guide and Me...

Post 6

Peta

Yes, it'd be great if Douglas were still here to see what's become of h2g2, and the net in general. I'd love to hear his take on it all.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Jimi X

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more